We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can You Help?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Livingston, United...
reviews: 17
Can You Help?

Visiting shortly, a party of 4.Interested in trying the Rice Table cuisine. have Looked at members suggestions and am tied between 3 places, restaurants Desu, Kantjil/De/Tiger,And Samu Sebu.Has any member visited more than one of these places,giving an informed recommendation, recognising that these would be highly subjective,but would be interested in your suggestions, Greetings from Scotland.

7 replies to this topic
Positano, Italy
reviews: 39
1. Re: Can You Help?

I've been to Kantjil/Tijger and Sama Sebo, 4 times to Kantjil 50+ times to Sama Sebo. I think that might already be the answer to your question!

Kantjil is a good restaurant, friendly staff and nice and tasty food, nothing wrong with it!

My favorite is and will be Sama Sebo, I've been coming here for years and I never get dissapointed. Most waiters have been working here for years and together with the many locals and tourists that visit Sama Sebo it sometimes feels like dining in someone's diningroom. Usually you start with a drink in the Bodega area as the restaurant is so busy and you usually have to wait till your table is ready ( even with reservation sometimes ). The rijsttafel is very tasty, the sateh and daging madura are amazing. If you are not that hungry or just not a big eater you can also order a "Bordje" ( plate ) my girlfriend usually asks the waiter for it and they bring a plate with small portions of the main dishes that you will get with your rijsttafel.

Beannaich am biadh 's sios leis

Positano, Italy
2. Re: Can You Help?

For some reason part of my post is missing, anyway I think the interior of Kantjl is a bit cheerless. If you like shrimps then take the Rijsttafel Kantjil as it comes with spicey shrimps in banana leaf. If you like chicken then go for the Rijsttafel Matjan comes with drumsticks with an amazing pineapple chutney. Both at Kantjil.

Livingston, United...
3. Re: Can You Help?

Thank you so much for your prompt reply,And we certainly look forward to enjoying our meal, Your gaelic is impeccable.

Positano, Italy
4. Re: Can You Help?

Please make sure to make reservations at the restaurant of your choice!

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Can You Help?

I have to tell you I have never heard of Desu and I have now googled it every way I can think of and can not come up with anything.

Like Jumeiirah I have eaten at both Kantjil and Sama Sebu. To me the big difference is that Kantjil seems more casual and Sama Sebu tends to be more formal. I think a lot depends on where you are staying and which is more convenient.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Can You Help?

BTW -

You may want to consider this place. Rather eclectic but they have an Indonesian chef and they do feature Rijsttafel. Consistently ranked in the top 5 of ALL restaurants in Amsterdam. Lovely modern interior.

http://maxrestaurant.nl/

Livingston, United...
7. Re: Can You Help?

Apologies ddavies that should read restaurant Desa,http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d1846863-Reviews-Desa-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Reply to: Can You Help?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted