We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond Hill...
Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

Are discounts possible on the Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland route? If so how can I book these tickets online? Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 145
1. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

Hi there,

Nope. NL does not have time/train-based discounts. It does have discounts for Yearly discount card holders but NS blocked access to those for tourists (without address and bank account here) quite some time back. The only hope for tourists is the regular cheap daycard bargain offers through e.g. Hema, Kruidvat and Blokker department stores/drugstores, but often these have a different purchase period than validity period - hence solely for people-with-local-contacts. And anyhow, a single from Amsterdam to HvH is not much more than such a daycard hence hardly break-even.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Richmond Hill...
2. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

Thank you.

As I can't get a discount can I buy this ticket once I arrive in Amsterdam? I will purchase the ticket a few days before I travel. Are the ticket counters at Central station open late at night, I arrive at 10 pm.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 145
3. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

Hi again,

Yes buy once you are there or even at day itself. When you prebuy you need to specify the exact travel date. Some counters should be open until last train, around midnight - but some railway vending machines at CS also accept cc. CC surcharge is 1 euro per transaction and counter surcharge is 0.50 per ticket...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
4. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

If you are taking the ferry (and why else would you go there) then look at stenaline.co.uk/ferry-to-holland/rail-and-sa… which includes train travel to the Hook and on the other side to London and some other location.

Richmond Hill...
5. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

Yes, I am taking the ferry. However the rail and sail package doesn't include train travel in the Netherlands. As I do not live in the Netherlands, I couldn't buy a rail and sail fare with the Dutch train included (I have exchanged emails with Stena on this subject). I need to purchase my train ticket from Amsterdam to Hoek separately.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
6. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

Hmm.. not heard of that before. Is that because you are travelling in the next few days?

Maybe look at taking the train all the way via Brussels.

Even Maninseat61 is not 100% sure www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm#.Ux4gPvRdWTQ

Edited: 4:39 pm, March 10, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
7. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

Oh I see you already booked the ferry I guess

UK
reviews: 26
8. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

The OP is correct about Dutchflyer tickets - they are only available for travel originating in the UK. We looked into this last year, and even enquired with Stena. You can book a return journey from the UK and have the Dutch rail portion included both ways, but the only tickets you can book for travel originating in the Netherlands are tickets that start with the ferry crossing and include a rail journey in the UK.

Rail travel in the Netherlands is so cheap that it isn't really worth worrying about. We just booked the ferry crossing and bought our tickets from the machine in the Schiphol baggage hall (we were returning from a long-haul trip).

Richmond Hill...
9. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

Yes, RonaldoC, I have booked the ferry already. Prior to booking my ferry ticket I emailed Stena to ask about the Dutch rail tickets. They told me there are not included and that I had to purchase these separately.

10. Re: Amsterdam to Hoek van Holland, train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 13, 2015