We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flower Update 2014

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
reviews: 8
Flower Update 2014

This thread is for all the updates about the spring flowers, blooming, tulip updates and related questions for the year 2014. If you are interested in the latest flower update please click the last page of this thread and read upwards.

Before you post any questions please read the general information first.

-----------

General information:

Weekly update

During Keukenhof season I will write a weekly update with the present blooming status and the predictions for the next week. Updates will be marked “Flower update #”

If you have general questions about visiting and transport to the Keukenhof please read the Top Questions about the Keukenhof. tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g188553-c132284/The-Ne… In the search box you can find a lot of interesting information about the Keukenhof, the flower parade, best tips, etc.

Blooming

About the timing of the blooming: We can’t predict the blooming status a couple of weeks in advance. Normally the best time to visit the tulip fields is last 2 weeks in April and first week of May. Around the 30th of April a lot of tulip fields are headed (to grow the bulbs). The Keukenhof will look beautiful until the end of season.

At this moment we have a very mild winter. This can cause the fields blooming earlier than normal. All depends on the weather and nature in the next couple of weeks. Read the weekly update and see the photo blogs to see the current status and decide for your self if it is worthwhile to travel.

F.A.Q.’s

#1: Will the tulips bloom on date xx-yy-2014? – We don’t know! Flowers follow the rules of nature and all depends on the weather in the next weeks. Read the weekly flower update.

#2: I am traveling after 18 May 2014, can I still see tulips in the fields? – No unfortunately there is a time limit to spring flowers and tulip fields. Please visit earlier.

#3: How to travel from my hotel to the Keukenhof? – Read the Top Questions visitors guide for a detailed instruction and see the public transport link www.9292.nl/en for door-to-door instructions. (Make sure you put in the right dates – the Keukenhof busses only ride when the Keukenhof is open)

#4: I am planning to visit on Easter weekend or Parade weekend will it be busy? – Yes those are the busiest days of Keukenhof season. Make sure you travel early (arrive before 10 am, pref. earlier) to avoid long traffic jams for cars, busses, public transport and taxis.

#5: Is it possible to ride a bike, boat around or fly over Keukenhof? – Yes that is possible. See www.keukenhof.nl/en and click on the activities menu.

#6: What will the weather be like? - See wunderground.com/weather-forecast/NL/Amsterd…

Photos

Have a look at the photo pages to have an impression about the blooming in the last couple of years.

Flower photos of CorTT: https:/…117794954613548281731

Flower photos of me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nring23/sets

If you have any questions please let us know.

Nina

325 replies to this topic
The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
1. Re: Flower Update 2014

Flower update #1 - March 5th 2014

The first flower fields are in bloom! So far I have seen 1 purple crocus field and 1 intens yellow daffodil field. It feels like springtime! The blooming is a bit early for the time of this year. The mild temperatures cause an early blooming for these flowers. I expect for the next week to see more crocus and daffodil fields, as the expected temperature will be around the 16-18 degrees C. at the weekend. If the weather stays mild and warm (and not too much rain) we can expect an early blooming for the tulips in April as well. At this moment the tulips are still enjoying their time in the ground so it is too early to tell the exact timing.

Have a look at the first crocus field here http://www.flickr.com/photos/nring23/sets.

Nina

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: Flower Update 2014

That's great. i am now until Monday and it looks like Spring is here already. Not that winter ever arrived.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 52
3. Re: Flower Update 2014

Lots of crocusses blooming in central Amsterdam as well, in the parks and in the green stretches between roads and on squares. :-)

Anderson, Indiana
reviews: 4
4. Re: Flower Update 2014

What is the earliest peak tulips in the field has come? I have been watching your weather and been pleasantly surprised.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
5. Re: Flower Update 2014

Mbruce not sure if I understand your question. Do you mean what is the earliest time to see the tulips fields in bloom?

There are many different type of tulips. One of the difference is blooming time (hence the name early or late tulips, without are normal tulips) In 2012 we had an early tulip field in bloom on the 17th of March flickr.com/photos/… and normal tulips in bloom around the first week of april 2012 flickr.com/photos/… In 2013, due to the cold winter, it took til end of april (21st) to see the first fields in bloom flickr.com/photos/…

There is normally a window of 3 weeks when most tulip fields are in bloom (generally last 2 weeks of april/first week of May) It is not just 1 day / 1 week that there is a peak in blooming. At this moment, due to the warm winter I expect to see an early blooming as well. Only not sure when this will be. See the first post in this thread.

Nina

Sarasota, Florida
6. Re: Flower Update 2014

Anybody - We'll be at the Convent in Amsterdam mid-April. How does one get from there to Keukenhof?

Thanks!!

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
7. Re: Flower Update 2014

Ammos, how to travel to Keukenhof is described in the first post of this thread. (see F.A.Q. # 3)

In the visitors guide you find all the information you need tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g188553-c132284/The-Ne… and all information about public transport can be found here www.9292.nl/en

Nina

Anderson, Indiana
reviews: 4
8. Re: Flower Update 2014

I have been following posts for a year or more and looking at the pictures. It is so helpful. I am so glad that your weather has been milder than last year. We have had record lows and snow, so we are glad yours was milder. Thanks again.

Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 22
9. Re: Flower Update 2014

This is one of the most useful threads I ever followed. Thank you so much for your helpful posts..

Essen, Germany
reviews: 82
10. Re: Flower Update 2014

Thank you very much for this very useful thread. I hope that you agree that I hyperlink it with the german Amsterdam forum too, I don´t want to let get lost any informations in my translation:-))

Tschüss

patara01

Reply to: Flower Update 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted