We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
6 posts
Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Hello again TA community!

Maybe a few of you have read my other question, the Setting is actually the same, me and my girlfriend are going to Amsterdam in August and we heard a few things about tourists and coffeeshops. in Austria you hear a lot about coffeeshops in Amsterdam and we heard that its only legal to go into a coffeeshop and to smoke in a coffeeshop if you are from the Netherlands, so it is illegal for tourists. is this true ? how strict is this rule ? can you get in serious Trouble if you go into a coffeeshop ? Amsterdam is famous for its legalization and for its coffeeshops and it would be a shame if we could not try this when we are there.

Greetings from Vienna

Daniel =)

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
2 reviews
11. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

You are not going to hurt anybody's feelings on here - it is ALL in good humor. :-))

Edited: 3:16 pm, March 05, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13,784 posts
76 reviews
12. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Ddavis so what DOES your post mean?? I guess it is a saying that I have never heard of? (Please remember the forum is worldwide and not used by native English speakers only). And what does it mean in this context???

Edited: 6:00 pm, March 05, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13,784 posts
76 reviews
13. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Oh my god what was wrong with my post asking for a digital spacecake? In this context?

Whoever reported that as inappropriate is a sad, sad person.

Edited: 6:06 pm, March 05, 2014
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
2 reviews
14. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Cecile -

What did your post say?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
12,788 posts
15. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

if you mean this..

<If you ask me what time it is I am not going to build you a clock>

it means..too much information when a short answer will do.

for example..is smoking pot illegal for tourists in amsterdam?...no it isnt, enjoy yourself

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13,784 posts
76 reviews
16. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Ddavis, in post 5 the OP said: "you have earned a digital Cookie for this! =)"

In post 6 I said something like "Thanks! No digital spacecake? ;-) "

Why ever that is supposed to be inappropriate really is beyond me.

17. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, March 06, 2014
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
2 reviews
18. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Cecile -

Whatever you did, it looks like you did it again.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13,784 posts
76 reviews
19. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Thanks Steve.

I say this in a seperate post because half the things I say appear to be too inappropriate for TA.

20. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 09, 2015