We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Hello again TA community!

Maybe a few of you have read my other question, the Setting is actually the same, me and my girlfriend are going to Amsterdam in August and we heard a few things about tourists and coffeeshops. in Austria you hear a lot about coffeeshops in Amsterdam and we heard that its only legal to go into a coffeeshop and to smoke in a coffeeshop if you are from the Netherlands, so it is illegal for tourists. is this true ? how strict is this rule ? can you get in serious Trouble if you go into a coffeeshop ? Amsterdam is famous for its legalization and for its coffeeshops and it would be a shame if we could not try this when we are there.

Greetings from Vienna

Daniel =)

19 replies to this topic
Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Daniel, No….open for tourists and non Nederlanders! Have a great trip….

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
2. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

What you had previously read was what was suppose to happen.

What was suppose to happen in theory never happened in fact.

Toke up and enjoy

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
3. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Coffeeshops in Amsterdam are still open for anyone over 18. Buying up to 5 grammes is 'tolerated' (not strictly legal... thanks to European laws which bind us to keeping it illegal). You won't notice anything about this, just go inside and do your thing. Don't smoke weed while walking the streets, that is bad form.

Coffeeshops in various border towns now have the weed pass, for locals only. But you probably won't go there. The nation's government tried to implement that weed pass for the whole country but lots of big cities are refusing to implement it. Nothing much has changed since this article: thestonedsociety.com/2013/…

Edited: 3:02 pm, March 03, 2014
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

If you ask me what time it is I am not going to build you a clock. Therefore.............

HAVE FUN!

Vienna, Austria
5. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

Cecille74!

thank you for the one and only understandable and clear Argument and answer to my question!

you have earned a digital Cookie for this! =)

6. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, March 05, 2014

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
7. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

"the one and only understandable and clear Argument"

I would be hurt if i'm jim, john or DD....

8. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, March 04, 2014

Vienna, Austria
9. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

i didnt want to hurt anybody, but my english is not the best and i hoped to get a straight and single answer, maybe not just a "yes its legal " but a "yes its legal but its illegal in Citys near the border because of the drug toursim taking place there", now i know...

thanks for all your answers everyone, sorry if i hurt you

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
10. Re: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com

Here you go just about all you need to know about AMS coffeeshops

Make sure you click on the map

Reply to: Tourists and Coffeeshops ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted