We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
reviews: 3
Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Greetings! Though we have travelled through Schiphol a number of times, I have never been to Amsterdam city.

We are going to take a train from Paris to Amsterdam in May.

We will each have only a 21 inch carryon suitcase.

Can someone advise me on the best mode of transportation from Amsterdam Centraal to our hotel on Jan Luijkenstraat?

I was assuming we would take a taxi. Is that not a good idea? We are unfamiliar with the city...

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

37 replies to this topic
Saint Paul...
11. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

@RonaldoC - I am thinking of switching from Hotel Fita to Sofitel Legend, Toren, Grand Amrath, Crowne Plaza, Radisson Blu - Victoria - - any opinion on any of those for being more near the center of things?

I realize it's off topic from transport from the train station, but 9292.nl got me thinking more about the location than just being near the Rijksmuseum.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
12. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Elizabeth, Amsterdam has a very small relatively traffic free city center. To walk from the Fita to central station (Where the Victoria is) it only takes about 25 minutes. Everywhere in between is 'central'.

Don't diss the Fita in terms of location and, likewise don't get too hung up about the location. As long as you are in the city center pretty well everywhere is easily reachable. All the hotels you mention are decent places in good locations.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 49
13. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

My answer is about location only, haven't stayed in hotels (being a local).

Definitely do a Google Streetview of the other hotels you're considering. Victoria and Amrath are along a busy road and at the northern edge of the center. Close to the red light district, Zeedijk and its Asian eateries, and the main tourist gutters of the city like Damrak and all its neon, and Nieuwendijk / Kalverstraat mainstream shopping street. Is that really where you prefer to be as opposed to your original hotel near the Vondelpark, museums and Leidseplein (the latter could also be considered tourist gutter but is convenient because of all its bars, restaurants and nightclubs).

The Toren is in a beautiful location. If you can afford it I say go for it.

I'd have to look up the locations of the other ones. But my main advice stands: do a streetview, and read reviews about noisiness.

You can use Google Maps > get directions and the walking person symbol to calculate walking distances from your hotel to any other place you might want to visit.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 2:31 am, February 14, 2014
Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 39
14. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

What the guys said about location, Fita is not bad at all. If however you do consider to switch hotels then I highly recommend Sofitel the Grand as I think it's one of Amsterdam's finest hotels. The service and the rooms are outstanding!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 69
15. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Of the hotels you mentioned I would rank them by location and reputation.

Sofitel the Grand

Toren

Amrath

Radisson

Crowne Plaza

Victoria

I would also consider the Canal House which is right next to the Toren, the Sebastian, Banks Mansion and the Andaz.

Saint Paul...
16. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

I do thank you so much for all of your input!

We finally decided on the Crowne Plaza so we can avoid taxis and so we can take the train to Schiphol.

All in all, after studying 9292.nl, I decided that we could easily go to the Rijksmuseum via public transport, but also be closer to walking around the canals and other sights. Time will only tell if that was a good or bad decision! It is hard to know what to do as a first timer...

Again, THANK YOU for taking the time to answer my post.

Amsterdam, The...
17. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Hmmm I wonder if that's a good choice. Your original hotel being just as close to the direct bus line from the airport, close to the museums and to Vondelpark and Leidseplein and all its bars... AND in a nice quiet residential street! Now you'll be along a busy road close to all kinds of tourist gutters.

Your choice... it wouldn't be mine.

Saint Paul...
18. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Thanks, Cecile! It's OK - I can't change it now anyway. We're only there for a day and a half anyway, then on to Poland. If it turns out to be a mistake, we'll just have to come back again! And again, thanks for the 9292.nl recommendation. Plan to use it when we are there.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
19. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

It will not be a mistake.

You may in your walks find other areas you would like even more though. Or not.

Those you can stay in during your next trip.

Even areas and hotels I thought I had made a mistake with after----- I enjoyed during my stay.

No doubt you will be happy with your choice

Amsterdam, The...
20. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

The area west of where you're staying is nice: the canal belt, the Jordaan area; Haarlemmerstraat and Haarlemmerdijk... Nieuwendijk and Damrak not so much.

The iamsterdam.com website offers a smartphone app including an offline map. iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…amsterdam-apps

Reply to: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted