We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
reviews: 3
Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Greetings! Though we have travelled through Schiphol a number of times, I have never been to Amsterdam city.

We are going to take a train from Paris to Amsterdam in May.

We will each have only a 21 inch carryon suitcase.

Can someone advise me on the best mode of transportation from Amsterdam Centraal to our hotel on Jan Luijkenstraat?

I was assuming we would take a taxi. Is that not a good idea? We are unfamiliar with the city...

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

37 replies to this topic
Florida
reviews: 46
1. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Not sure what a cab would cost, but the tram will you get there and it costs 2.80 euro per person. You can take either line 2 or line 5 from Centraal Station. I stayed at a hotel on that street two years ago and loved the location. You'll either want to get off at the Van Gogh station or one stop before it, depending on the hotel. The street that you disembark on if it's the Van Gogh station is one block over from Jan Luijkenstraat

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 48
2. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

www.9292.nl/en is a door to door public transport planner and you can also click to see maps of the parts you need to walk.

Taxi from Central Station is probably about 15 euros.

But you'd be better off taking direct bus 197 from the airport! Use that 9292 planner to see times and the name of the stop. Enter Schiphol as the starting point and your hotel address as the end point. Then see all the options it will show on the left (probably also one through train station Lelylaan, which might be slightly faster but involves a change of transport... Up to you!).

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 2:23 am, February 13, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
3. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

P.S. 9292 also has a smartphone app. And Schiphol has free wifi for an hour.

Lots of cafes in town also have free wifi.

London, UK
4. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

The O.P. isn't coming from the airport, Cecile. She's arriving by train direct from Paris.

So, taking the tram from Centraal will definitely be the best/cheapest option.

Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Ah, the mention of Schiphol had me confused.

Even so, www.9292.nl/en will be helpful. :-)

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
6. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

But if he is coming by train it will stop at Schiphol.

To me Cecile's advice is very sound. Get off at Schiphol and take the 197 bus. The Rijksmuseum stop is just on the corner of Jan Luijkenstraat.

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Hmmm yeah I guess it's a matter of doing some math.

Getting off at Schiphol = probably 10-15 minutes earlier than Central Station. Bus 197 goes 4 times an hour and takes 30 minutes. The major plus is: no change of transport needed, and avoiding hectic, crowded, pickpocket-infested Central Station (although pickpockets may also travel on bus 197 but once you are seated it would be quite hard to steal something from you).

Getting off at Central Station = about 10-15 minutes later; a tram probably takes about 20 minutes.

It could come down to the same arrival time at your hotel. It's up to you which method has your preference.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

Thank you so much for the info!

I do want to go to Centraal, just for the experience of it, in case I want to travel by train again in the future.

The 9292.nl/en site is SUPER INFORMATIVE!

Soooo - Does it NOT make sense to take a taxi from the train station to our hotel?

(I am thinking of switching hotels to a different neighborhood...)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 68
9. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

A taxi will be the most direct way to get to your hotel. Absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel you picked or the area it is in.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
10. Re: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?

best=taxi

Reply to: Best Mode of transport from Amsterdam Centraal to Hotel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted