We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 33
Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

Hello all!

We're looking at catching the train from London to Amsterdam. One of the cheapest tickets has an arrival time of 23:40 at Amsterdam Centraal, meaning we probably wouldn't be out of the station until midnight?

We are staying about 3km away from the station near Diamantbuurt.

I had a few questions I was hoping to get some advice on:

1. How safe is it arriving at Amsterdam Centraal this late night at night?

2. Will it be easy to get a taxi from the the station to the Diamantbuurt area at this time of night?

3. Any estimate on what a taxi would cost? I've checked World Taxi Fares, but I wasn't sure if there is a surcharge for night-time fares.

If arriving this late isn't advised, we have the option of getting a train that arrives around 7pm (20 euros more per person), or we can get a flight (but I much prefer the idea of getting the train).

Appreciate any suggestions!

9 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
1. Re: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

Hi there,

No big worries, walking there regularly around 11 PM. Yes there are cabs waiting until the last train arrival, and there is a nighttime surcharge. I'd say 20 euro fare max 25.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
2. Re: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

I hope you are aware that flying takes much less time and is usually cheaper?

Other than that, no safety issues other than to mind your belongings on the train just like in daytime. My guess for the taxi fare would be 20-25 euros. There are night buses too. www.9292.nl/en for planning all your public transport in Amsterdam and the rest of the country.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Positano, Italy
reviews: 39
3. Re: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

In addition, Amsterdam's largest taxi company has a tool on their website to calculate taxi fares : http://www.tcataxi.nl/en.html

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
4. Re: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

Where in the Diamantbuurt? Tram 4 runs right through there from the Rai station which is very close. Personally I would just take the earlier train but the €20 might mean more to you.

London, United...
5. Re: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

Got to agree with Ron.

I'd take the earlier train. It will give you a few hours to make your way into the city centre and have a look round and an evening stroll. If you take the later train, by the time you get to your accommodation it will pretty much be bedtime.

Those extra four and a half hours are well worth €20.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 33
6. Re: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

Hi all,

Thank you for the advice!

Considering we'll probably end up paying 20-30 euro for a taxi I think we will probably end up taking the earlier train which arrive around 8pm. Like you guys have said, this way we can get to our accommodation and drop our things off, then go and have a stroll and get dinner.

It would only end up being an extra 20 euro or so in total once we calculate the taxi fare.

Thanks for your help Cecile - we were originally going to fly, but it's our first time in Europe so I'd prefer to get the train to be a bit more comfortable and see a bit more, rather than hanging out in airports! I'll see how we go this time.

Thanks again all!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
7. Re: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

The EuroStar is a lovely choice. You'll have a wonderful time.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
8. Re: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

Good choice about taking the earlier train, that also makes your hotel costs more worthwhile. Otherwise you might as well arrive early morning and save a night's hotel costs.

Now you'll be able to enjoy the city in the evening when the canals look like a fairytale.

The kitches of a lot of restaurants close at about 10pm but fast food can be found deep into the night. You can find many restaurants in 'de oude Pijp', the area just north of Ceintuurbaan; and along Weesperzijde on the other side of the water, for example Hesp, and Ysbreeker are nice.

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 16
9. Re: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night

I arrived on the 10:40 train from Paris last week and walked to my hotel in the Jordaan District. Perfectly safe and something special about walking the canals late at night.

Reply to: Arriving at Amsterdam Centraal Late at Night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted