We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter in February?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 2
Scooter in February?

Hi, I will be in Amsterdam for 3 days (13-16 Feb) and was thinking of renting a scooter during those days.Do you think it will be too cold to venture on a scooter?

11 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
1. Re: Scooter in February?

It will rain a lot and temps are about 5-8 degrees. Not great weather for a scooter.

Also, it is not easy for a tourist to ride and steer a scooter in Amsterdam. Why do you want this and where do you want to go?

In the center you can walk everything.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 5
2. Re: Scooter in February?

I have been to Amsterdam well over 20 times. Getting close to 300 nights I would guess.

I have ridden motorcycles for years.

I'd never rent a scooter in Amsterdam.

In my countless hours of walking I have seen far to many accidents involving, walkers, trams, cars, bikes. And a small couple is far to many for me.

In Feb? It can be very nice. It can be brutal. It will surely be wet. Likely very wet.

I leave that sort of stuff for the locals.

YMMV

Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 2
3. Re: Scooter in February?

Thanks for the prompt responses,really helpful.I would have liked to hire a bike for me and my wife but then she isn't keeping that well to manage a bike ride.so was thinking of renting a scooter(the ones that don't do beyond 25kmph)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
4. Re: Scooter in February?

For in the city center????

Anyway, if she doesn't cope well on a bicycle, don't put her on a scooter in the rain.

Edited: 10:24 am, February 10, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 5
5. Re: Scooter in February?

And this is a very serious comment

Make sure your health insurance , for Rx in the NL, and your medical evac insurance for an emergence trip back home is in good order for both of you.

A bad accident could be crippling otherwise.

A number of scooter rides in the center for a first time visitor in the wet, cold, and dark, and confusing , is more high risk by a lot than walking.

Be prepared and hope you don't need it is my advice

Good luck

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
6. Re: Scooter in February?

Enjoy!

rtvnh.nl/data/thumb/abc_media_image/310000/3…

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 42
7. Re: Scooter in February?

Traffic is really hectic in Amsterdam and you are probably not used to millions of bikes (who have right of way in many situations!), and speeding trams and taxis, and slippery tram tracks. 1 in every 6 accidents involves a scooter. Perhaps due to behavior of the average scooter teen in Amsterdam, but also because of traffic situations and other riders not being able to gauge the speed you're approaching with (something I already notice when I ride my fast racerbike, most people find it really hard to gauge 25km/h and still step / drive their car onto the cycling path or road even though I have right of way and am bound to hit them... and that is not counting the tourists who have no clue where to walk or what to watch out for! Riding my fast bike involves a lot of anticipating and breaking).

The city is walkable, many things are close together and you can always use trams and buses if you get tired. Or a taxi.

Have fun! and hopefully good weather,

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 9
8. Re: Scooter in February?

I have just been in Amsterdam for 2 days and recommend you hire bicycles. I'm from South Africa and we drive on the wrong side of the road but if you keep your wits about you and go slowly it's very simple. No need to hire scooter. Hiring bicycle was best thing I did.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 39
9. Re: Scooter in February?

<< I would have liked to hire a bike for me and my wife but then she isn't keeping that well to manage a bike ride >>

In that case please don't consider renting a bike! If you wife doesn't cope well on a bicycle then don't bike in Amsterdam, seriously!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 67
10. Re: Scooter in February?

Be aware that scooter rental runs at around €45 per day so actually more than a car. More than accidents I would be worried about the weather even though we have been having it mild recently. However I see you are from Norway so it might seem mild to you. However I anabdoned my bike the other night on the way back frm work and took the tram. Bear Grills would not have been able to withstand the onslaught I suffered. OK i'm a whimp.

Forget about needing a scooter or bike and walk or take the tram. Do you see many folks on a scooter in Stavanger in February?

Reply to: Scooter in February?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted