We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam in August.

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
reviews: 72
Amsterdam in August.

I will be coming to Amsterdam in August. I just wanted to check:

1) How do i get to the city from the Airport?

2) How much money do i need ?

3) What will the weather be like?

4) Do I need to speak dutch?

5) Where can i eat?

Only joking! Just fooling around as I am so happy to be returning again to my favorite European City!

20 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
1. Re: Amsterdam in August.

Ha ha ha, you fooled me for a minute there.

Great that you have definite plans! August has plenty of festivals. You'll have a blast.

P.S. How many times have you been before? You *should* speak Dutch by now.

Edited: 5:20 pm, February 09, 2014
Auckland Region...
2. Re: Amsterdam in August.

Hi Cecile, I think at least a dozen times now………..and yet, there is so much i haven't seen or done! Some of the trip reports have been excellent, so i have a long list. However, i tend not to follow lists and go with the flow! but perhaps too much "going by the flow", so this year i will be a little "stricter", and make sure i do get to see more sights, esp museums. BUT time will tell!!

I am in Amsterdam this year for at least 10 days, so plenty of time to do everything !!

AND yes, i should speak some dutch by now. Unfortunately i cannot even pronounce where i stay correctly! (Prinsengracht) .

Edited: 5:26 pm, February 09, 2014
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Amsterdam in August.

I'm jealous!

Have fun!

Amsterdam, The...
4. Re: Amsterdam in August.

Ha ha, yeah Prinsengracht must be a tongue twister (or rather a throat killer) for non-natives. Great location to stay.

And I know what you mean, I live here almost full-time and have been for almost 16 years but still feel like a newbie sometimes when I discover new places. And it changes all the time as well.

As for going with the flow, in my opinion that is the best way of experiencing Amsterdam. Only last week plans for a museum visit with a friend turned into some biking through beautiful weather, specific shopping, and cocktails and snacks with other friends. The museum will still be there next week! :-)

Auckland Region...
5. Re: Amsterdam in August.

Exactly! I think i will buy a Museum Card this year which may prompt me to have more of a cultural visit!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
6. Re: Amsterdam in August.

that "gracht" part is painful

Auckland Region...
7. Re: Amsterdam in August.

It is, i do try...but always corrected. I thought my scottish roots would give me an advantage! lol

Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: Amsterdam in August.

You can practice here, click the triangles. http://nl.forvo.com/word/prinsengracht/#nl :-)

#1 swallows the middle -n- and #2 pronounces it. #1 is probably more common.

And while you're at it you may as well go for the advanced course: http://nl.forvo.com/word/rijksmuseum/#nl ;-)

Auckland Region...
9. Re: Amsterdam in August.

ta! will let you know how i get on! :):)

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
10. Re: Amsterdam in August.

I can deal with Prinsengracht and Scheveningen and the likes of it. But ..... HeerHugowaard, and s'Hertogenbosch (I know, you can shorten it but I have always tried my best at it, to no avail ;-( ) -- I could never succeed with!

Lucky hemikiwi. Jealous, I am.

Reply to: Amsterdam in August.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted