We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11th visit !!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
blackpool
reviews: 1
11th visit !!

Hi all I will be back again next Friday for 3 days and apart from going Haarlem, which I never got around to doing,I'm a bit stuck for ideas,been there got the T-shirt syndrome ?

any suggestions for something different to do,kinda done most things,museums etc ?

Cheers warren

p.s Amy idea where to get my fav Belgium beer "GOUDEN CAROLUS"

9 replies to this topic
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
1. Re: 11th visit !!

ive been almost as many times as you and i now go without any plan or itinerary...

Auckland Region...
reviews: 70
2. Re: 11th visit !!

I have also been many many times and although i DO plan , i rarely ever stick to it once i am there!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 67
3. Re: 11th visit !!

Maybe you should go to Rotterdam ;-)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
4. Re: 11th visit !!

Or Lelystad

Gouden carolus should be for sale at Cafe Gollem, sometimes on draft as well. But call in advance to make sure

http://cafegollem.nl/?page_id=19

blackpool
reviews: 1
5. Re: 11th visit !!

Cheers grolland ill check gollum,last time i was there it was closed !

i usually wander round and play it by ear...may do another mystery tram,stay on till the end and wander round the area :-) last time i did that tram 2 i found a windmill at sloten that was cool

London, UK
6. Re: 11th visit !!

I've visited Amsterdam 50+ times over the last twenty years. My first time was Easter 1994 so this year's trip will be my 20th anniversary.

I've pretty much seen every tourist sight and visited every place of interest but i'm still not bored of the city. If anything, I look forward to each visit more and more as time goes on.

My very favourite thing to do whilst in Amsterdam is also the most simple, just walking the city streets with only the most vague sense of which direction to go in. I've walked down pretty much every street in Centrum and covered most of the old and new south, old west and chunks of the east. Not seen much of Nord but plan to in the future. On foot is the best way to see the city, in my opinion, and it's great to get the feel of each unique neighbourhood.

When friends or people from work ask me for recommendations of what to do if they are visiting Amsterdam, my first tip is always the same: wander the streets aimlessly and get a little bit lost.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 42
7. Re: 11th visit !!

My off the beaten track suggestions would be:

- NDSM wharf. From the back of Central Station, take a free ferry to NDSM-werf. An industrial area gone cool with a few bohemian cafes/restaurants called Pllek (with a tiny tiny city beach and amazing views over the water) , and Noorderlicht (with indoor and outdoor seating, a nice garden and a bonfire). If you prefer something more traditional and indoors, try IJkantine.

- Jaap Eden ice skating rink (October - April). Go ice skating on Jaap Eden outdoor skating rink (400 meter circles), see how Dutch people enjoy themselves and be amazed by the nimble movements of kids on the slippery ice. You can rent skates there. And have typically Dutch hot drinks (with or without alcohol mixed in) at the nice bar called Skeeve Skaes, with many ancient skates hanging from the ceiling. Radioweg 64, Amsterdam (east).

- De Nieuwe Ooster cemetery. While you're in the neighbourhood, visit the beautiful cemetery called De Nieuwe Ooster. Okay, it might be weird, but this cemetery is really pretty. It has trees from all over the world, is park-like, and lots of famous Dutch people are burried there. They even have a little museum Tot Zover, about death and rituals people from all over the world use. Kruislaan 126, Amsterdam (east).

- 't Nieuwe Diep distillery. The lovely old building of 't Nieuwe Diep in the middle of Flevopark and is now a distillery of jenevers (Dutch gin) and liquors in many flavours with a cafe. Indoors it's small but cosy and bustling with people, children and dogs in winter. Outdoors there is lovely seating by the lake. Very friendly owners are happy to explain you everything.

- EYE Film institute. This funky new building is bliss for modern architecture fans. But it also has a sunny terrace and indoor restaurant with amazing views across IJ. It's also a film museum and cinema.

- Drinks at SkyLounge bar on the 11th floor of DoubleTree Hilton Hotel, great views.

- Noordermarkt on a Saturday, or Monday morning.

- Dutch Resistance Museum. Very interesting museum about WWII. http://www.verzetsmuseum.org/museum/en/museum

- Huis Marseille photo museum. In a beautiful canal house.

- FOAM photo museum currently features an overview of William Klein's work.

- Tuschinski cinema, screen 1. The other screens / halls aren't that interesting, but the hall of screen 1 is breathtaking. So if there's a movie in English go see that.

- De Uitkijk cinema, a tiny, old, charming cinema with only one screen. Go sit upstairs on the balcony. You can order drinks during the movie.

Other nice suggestions in this thread: www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Suggestions by TimeOut which you may not have done all 20 yet: timeout.com/amsterdam/en/attractions/things-…

And tips from other locals here: http://www.spottedbylocals.com/amsterdam/ (scroll down and see the menu on the left).

Have fun!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 4:47 pm, January 17, 2014
Auckland Region...
reviews: 70
8. Re: 11th visit !!

great suggestions Cecile

Cardiff
reviews: 121
9. Re: 11th visit !!

We go for what I think is about our 15th visit, in a couple of weeks, and just like it more each time. We normally don't plan much, but get most of our ideas about new places to visit, or things to do from this great forum, or from just doing a bit of our own research.

For several of our initial visits we tended to stay in areas that we were familiar with, and we got to feel a little like the OP. But we then left Amsterdam alone for a couple of years, tried some eastern European cities, then ventured back to Amsterdam, broadened our horizons a bit on where we stayed and what we did and re discovered it all over again and appreciated it even more. So maybe it is time for a break.

Reply to: 11th visit !!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted