We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking.com premature card charges

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 1
booking.com premature card charges

I booked a reservation for 10th jan at frisco inn, amsterdam a while ago. When i checked my bank account earlier, my money available balance was looking a little low. I phoned my bank to check outgoing transactions and she said there was one for £80something taken out by Frisco Hotel. The booking was meant to be payment on arrival for £300. Has anybody had any experiences with booking.com or Frisco Inn where money has unexpectedly been charged before the stay? Are there charges i don't know about? what do i do? I'm going to wait until the transaction appears on my statement to get a better idea of what's happened and if it is indeed this hotel but I'd just like to know of anyone else's experiences

6 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
1. Re: booking.com premature card charges

Sounds like a non refundable deposit.

Did you read the fine print?

A deposit like this, if in fact that is what it is, is quite common in the Netherlands especially at the lower started hotels.

At the higher started hotels as well when they offer a book now stay in the future but pay the entire amount now and we will not refund type of rate.

It's only a big deal if you cancel.

I'd be calling the hotel directly to check on this.

I doubt it's a scam in any way.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
2. Re: booking.com premature card charges

With Booking.com the hotel reserves the right to authorize the first night as a guarantee. It is usually lifted after you have checked in.

"Frisco Inn accepts these cards (Visa, MC & ATM) and reserves the right to pre-authorize your card prior to arrival." from Booking.com

Edited: 4:47 pm, December 30, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
3. Re: booking.com premature card charges

You need to check your booking small print. I don't see on the Booking.com or the hotel site that they need to take a deposit but that they need credit card to confirm the booking. Perhaps since you seem to have given them a debit card then they might have taken a deposit in cash. Always better to do these things with credit cards IMHO

Cardiff, United...
4. Re: booking.com premature card charges

I didn't think it's a scam either, I was just a little confused as to why they're taking money from me now when it's pay on arrival. Especially since in the hotel policies section it says there's no prepay deposit required;

'Prepayment: No deposit will be charged.'

Arcadia, California
reviews: 22
5. Re: booking.com premature card charges

I have made a few reservations on booking.com where the hotel has charged my credit card for the first night immediately. When I had to cancel one time, the charge was reversed in a few days.

Cardiff, United...
6. Re: booking.com premature card charges

that's great to know, tripadvisor is such a helpful place! I just didn't want to spend a fortune phoning netherland numbers. I'll keep a print-out of the charges just for future reference

Happy Holidays guys

Reply to: booking.com premature card charges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted