We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas + new year's vacation

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 5
Christmas + new year's vacation

I have never celebrated christmas before, and I am planning a winterly new year's vacation.

Is Amserdam a recommended destination for this time of the year?

I would like to experience the european christmas markets, street's tree and romantic lights.

However, I know that in some cities in europe people tend to be with their families and the streets are pretty empty at this time. So I'd like to know if it's attractive for tourists to come at christmas time and the new years eve.

Moreover, since I am planning to stay for 10 days, I would be glad for recommendations of places to visit outside amsterdam at wintertime

1 reply
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Christmas + new year's vacation

I think that first of all it will be very hard to find accommodation this close to the popular dates.

I have to say I don't really know what the city is like during actual Christmas because indeed I spend it with family and friends in our homes.

From what I hear, restaurants need to be booked in advance.

I guess The Netherlands are the least Christmassy of a lot of European countries because we also have Sinterklaas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

So we don't celebrate Christmas in sugh a big way, most families don't give presents, just eat together.

Germany and the UK could be good places for a real Christmas feel but probably all hotels and restaurants are already booked up there too.

As for New Year's Eve, same thing with regards to accommodation, people have been planning and booking their NYE trips to Amsterdam for months already. Read the Top Question about NYE, the Top Questions are on the top right of the page.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 7:17 pm, December 21, 2013
Reply to: Christmas + new year's vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted