We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
staffordshire
reviews: 27
Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

Planning a 2 night week day break for my husbands 40th, been looking through loads of info and like the sound of the Jordaan area. We are both in our late 30's and are planning on going a couple of museums, evening trip on the canals, shopping and of course when in Amsterdam having a nosey at the RLD and coffeeshops!! Not really into nightclubs and don't really want to be right in the centre of the nightlfe but would like to be in walking distance of the attractions as mentioned above. Does Jordaan area sound ok and any recommendation on hotels. Also will it busy with it being in the week (June). Sorry for all the questions, any advice greatly appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
1. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

What kind of hotel?

With what sort of budget?

The Jordaan is a wonderful area. As is the area around the Marriott-Nh Amsterdam Center.

You will be somewhat limited in the type of hotels in the Jordaan as opposed to some other areas.

Mostly small canal house type of hotels.

So a budget ?. Will you need a lift or are steep stairs OK?

June will indeed be a busy time.

Edited: 3:35 pm, December 21, 2013
staffordshire
2. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

Thanks for the reply, Not got big budget probably about £220 for 2 nights so looking at about 3 stars, stairs not a problem.

staffordshire
3. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

Thanks for the reply, Not got big budget probably about £220 for 2 nights so looking at about 3 stars, stairs not a problem.

Hoboken, New Jersey
reviews: 4
4. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

I recently stayed in the Hotel Singel alongside the Singel canal just a few minutes away from Centraal Station. It's the edge of the Jordaan to be sure but it's also quite walkable in both directions - to the Jordaan and to the Damrak and RLD etc. Seemed like a good location to me.

staffordshire
5. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

thanks Davehobokan, had a quick look at the Singel hotel, good price will definately add that one to my list.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

John is the resident hotel expert on the forum and I feel sure he will be back on here offering advice on how to bid for a hotel. In the meantime, here are some sites that match your criteria (use Google translate if you need it):

http://www.thetimeshotel.nl/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d232493…

http://www.posthoornamsterdam.com/

http://www.thetoren.nl/index.php?lang=EN

http://thotel.nl/

Be sure to read the reviews and if I were you I would wait on advice for bidding.

staffordshire
7. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

Thanks ddavis 1950, all look lovely but a couple of them booked for the dates I need. I had already seen Hotel Nadia which is definately well within my price range, good reviews and although it doesn't looks very modern looks quite unique - top of my list at the moment. Many thanks.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

Yes. Did not have the exact dates so just plugged some in.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
9. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

Advice about bidding on hotels can also be found in the Top Questions on the top right of this very page, under the question about cheap hotels. It tells you how you can get a 4 or 5 star hotel for little money, the only thing is you don't know which one it will be (only a rough area) until your bid is accepted.

Have fun in Amsterdam,

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 7:08 pm, December 21, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
10. Re: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?

The area around the Hotel Nadia is very un-Jordaan like. Sort of loud, busy, and cold.

Bidding would be your best value by far. We push it a lot because the value cannot be matched.

If you bid you will end up in an upscale 4 or 5 star double room in a great area. But that great area will not be the Jordaan.

Consider a try at the Hotel Brouwer. A great 2 star with a lift. Likely full already but worth a try.

It's on the edge of the Jordaan.

Reply to: Advice on staying in Jordaan for 1st timers to Amsterdam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted