We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South West
reviews: 15
Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!

Hi all,

Trying to find a cheapish supermarket near Centraal station, thats quite large to stock up on a few essential groceries. Have seen that there are AH to go, which i think are smaller express type shops? I looked on the AH website and found the one Prins Hendrikkade, looked on googlemaps imagining to see a giant shop, but cant see anything?

Is google maps old or am i looking forsomething too big?!

Any advice on other larger shops welcome

Thanks all :)

7 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
1. Re: Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!

The AH To Go in Central Station is not all that small but the 'To Go's' tend to be more expensive, although the central AH's are also more expensive than the ones just outside the center. There's also a small AH at the airport.

What is it you want to buy? The To Go may have it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!

It's by the Atrain hotel. Don't expect a large shopfront, even walking past it you might miss it. I know it's there but I can't see it on Street view. It's no bigger than a medium sized convenience store.

There's a larger one behind the royal palace 10 minutes walk away.

Amsterdam, The...
3. Re: Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!

There's also quite a large AH on Haarlemmerdijk just after Korte Prinsengracht.

Are you going shopping just after arriving or just before leaving? Where are you staying... Near CS?

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
4. Re: Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!

It is the wide gray building about 8 houses north of Martelaarsgracht. If you look closely, you see that that building extends all the way to Nieuwendijk, so it is not that small. Putting a sipermarket in a 17th century city centre is a bit of a puzzle...

Edited: 7:35 am, December 21, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!

I think the Google street view is quite out of date. The reason you can't see it is that 20 Prins Hendrikkade seems to have a To Let (Te Huur) sign in the window so I guess that AH is only a few years at that location.

To be honest I have only passed by, not been in and the frontage is not big so I assumed it was fairly small inside.

As Math said it can be quite a challenge fitting supermarrkets into the city. Some have entrances which are barely more than a sliding door (like my local one in De Pijp) or even underground like on the Museumplein.

South West
reviews: 15
6. Re: Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!

Thanks all for the recommendations.

That's given me a bit more info to go from and a bit more research to do.

To be honest we won't be getting much just some snacks maybe milk bread fillings n fruit etc for a few days.

Thanks for helpful answers all.

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!

The AH to go has all that...

Reply to: Cant find Albert Heijn Prins Hendrikkade?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted