We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to pick the best hotel location

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
reviews: 3
Trying to pick the best hotel location

My previous thread on Picking a Hotel for Solo Traveler yielded many great responses, thank you.

Which leads me to ponder a little further ----:

As I look at hotel locations, I note that they are either In:

1) Dam Square/Central Station

2) Canal Ring

3) City Center

As stupid as it sounds, I will ask it anyway. Are there hotels that intersect these 3 areas? A collision of the best of all worlds, so to speak? 3 Stars.

For the first-time visitor who will only spend 3 nights, what area would you recommend the best? I like central location, close to everything, but would also probably appreciate a canal view (?)

I've been given names of good hotels, just not sure which area to pick.

Thank you for your indulgence.

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 53
1. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

Those areas you list are not mutually exclusive. Dam Square is in the middle of the Centrum. And the Canal Ring is not far from the center. Centraal Station, meanwhile, is considered to be on the outer edge of the Centrum.

To this point, I've probably confused you even more, so I strongly suggest that you read the information provided by the hardworking DE's on this forum regarding neighborhoods in Amsterdam. It should clarify things for you a bit, geographically speaking. :)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c156882/Amste…

Edited: 1:26 am, November 12, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
2. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

1 2 3 all make up what is referred to as the center of Amsterdam.. Within the canal rings.

Those or that are the areas you want. These are the areas we normally suggest for a first time visitor. It's a small easy to get around in center.

Flip a coin. Or tell us the name of the hotels to get some actual advice.

Edited: 3:26 am, November 12, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

You are really overthinking this!! I am not a big fan of the coin flip suggested above since with three options and only two sides on a coin it makes for a complex round-robin puzzle as you pitch 2 choices against each other in all combinations and progress through successive fall-off rounds until only 1 winner remains. I would suggest you print out maps of those areas, or print out maps of Amsterdam's central area and cut out those areas. Then depending on your preference, blindfold yourself, spin yourself around three times and play pin the tail on the donkey with the map sections to choose one. Or, scrunch each map section up into tight balls, stand at the top of some stairs, close your eyes and throw them up in the air at the same time. The one landing on the highest step is the one to go with.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
4. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

Are these the best 3 stars in those areas?

Normally the reviews suggest which 3 star are the best. These hotels have a TA rank based on the many reviews.

Although you are the first member here to ever decide its going to be a 3 star hotel as I can I can remember.

. An odd approach? In a way.

Look at the reviews is the best advice. There are normally a lot of them.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
5. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

Dam Square is in the city center and also within the canal ring.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

I agree with Lenny in that I believe you are over thinking this. I also agree with Hans in that the areas are not mutually exclusive.

As a first time visitor it is hard to visualize the city but in the end you are talking about finding hotels in one of these areas that are only a 10 to 15 minute walk from each other. Amsterdam is one of the great walking cities in the world and you walk can can from one extreme end of the center to the far end in 30 minutes. Kind of like Victoria.

As long as you are in one of these areas, pick a hotel based on whether or not you like it and don't try to fine tune the location too much. The main thing is to stay within the central canal area (grachtengordel).

If after choosing a hotel you want to make one last check, bring the name back on here and ask what people think.

Vancouver...
7. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

So far my hotels of keen interest are:

1) Hotel Estherea

2) NH City Centre (although I do prefer smaller boutique-type hotels)

3) Nova Hotel

4) Bees B&B

5) Swissotel (but read it can be a tad noisy)

Thank you for all your great advice.

PS Where is the best place to get euros?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
8. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

>>Where is the best place to get euros?<<

ATMs

Vancouver...
9. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

NOT all ATMS are born equal. In Paris, some have better rates than others and some spit out smaller denominations. Just wondering which one is the best is all.

Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
10. Re: Trying to pick the best hotel location

All ATM's here are created equal. Just choose one from the big three banks, ING, ABN Amro or Rabobank and you'll be fine.