We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 200
Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

I saw this on the London forum originally and now there is one on the Berlin board as well. I thought this was a good idea for all of us that go to Amsterdam or who are thinking of going to read thru the reports to have an idea of what to do and how people viewed there trips and thus we can come back and write up a report on how our trip went.

"""For everyone's convenience and reading pleasure, please post links to all your trip reports (past, present, and future) here on this thread. If you also have pictures posted somewhere on the Net, include those links as well.

Without further adieu, on with the show!"""

If possible can we get this stickied as well?

34 replies to this topic
11. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, February 05, 2014

12. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, February 04, 2014

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
13. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

A full time spammer.

Please report if you have not already

Bucharest
reviews: 31
14. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Here is the link to the trip report of my 5 days in Amsterdam and around, in may 2013:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k71763…

Alia

Maryland
reviews: 49
15. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

My 15 year old daughter and I added a two day layover in Amsterdam on our way home to the US from India. We are looking for an affordable place to stay in a safe area near the city. We fly in and out of Schiphol. Would it make sense for us to stay near the airport and use the free hotel shuttle from the airport or to try to find something downtown? If we stay downtown, we would want to be close to public transportation so we can get to and from the airport easily before heading out to explore the city.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!!

Hillsborough, North...
reviews: 76
16. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Another wonderful February Amsterdam trip! I do so love this city - its relaxed yet bustling vibe, how different the various areas feel, the history and architecture, and something about all the water and canals is really alluring. I know I'm hooked because I keep coming back twice a year!

Arrived on a Monday for my short week with plans to visit some areas I haven't been, go afield a bit. and generally soak in Amsterdam. I stayed at Mauro Mansion for the first time and must say that it deserves all the praise it receives. I shall write a separate review, but bottom line it was a wonderful warm and welcoming place - I truly enjoyed it and recommend it highly.

I'm always a bit whipped on my first day after the 17 hours or so it takes to get here. So Monday was light - a walk around the Geldersekade, RLD, a visit to Wynand Fockink - always a favorite! - and one of my favorite streets - Zeedijk - for dinner at Bird Thai. I was underwhelmed by Bird Thai, but will save that for another review. I do find that as a solo traveler I tend to have a better experience dining early when the staff is not so rushed and I don't feel as if I'm intruding or hogging a table for just one person. Wondered around a bit after dinner - I just love the Zeedijk - very lively with loads of little shops and restaurants - a great vibe. To wind down the evening properly spent a co Feb 2014 Trip Report uple of hours at In de Olofspoort, which is at the very end of Warmoesstraat and is known for its collection of jenevers, many of which are lovely if you bend that way. I like coming back here each time as I'm remembered and greeted as an old friend. I even received a personal tour from the owner of the recently refurbished basement area - which dates back to the 14th century. Very nice.

After a fitful sleep (if one could call it that!) and lovely breakfast, I hoofed it the 10 minutes or less to Centraal Station to catch a bus to the Waterland area. The construction around the Ij side of the station made finding the bus stop area a little challenging, but I made it, bought a 10 euro all-day Waterland ticket from the buss driver and set off on the day's adventure - Monnickendam and Marken. The hop-on/hop-off nature of the all-day ticket is great and enabled me to set my own schedule pretty much since the buses both ways were quite frequent. Monnickendam is a village and has a lovely old church, the Speeltoren (oldest carillon bells in the world - or so claimed - still played daily), and nice harbor. I really just walked around and gawked, went to the Waterland museum, looked at the boats, and just soaked it in - easy, due to the nice steady rain. I did stop at the small tourist office - VVV - which I don't usually do, but picked up a couple nice small maps and a bus schedule which turned out to be very helpful - a very helpful young woman there. I noticed that in the narrow brick streets they've cut a foot-deep trench between the road bed and the sidewalk/shop entryways as obviously a kind of gutter or sluice for water - hadn't seen that before but it speaks to the old engineering adage that if you control the water you control.

On to the bus and Marken! Marken was an island and is now a peninsula thanks to the narrow causeway that the bus shared with the occasional car and the bike lane - a bicycle would be a great trip in nicer weather! As the bus climbed out of Monnickendam on the gentle rise of the road I was struck that we were going UP to the dyke, and that the water level of the Markenmeer -which I guess was the Zuiderzee - was quite a number of feet above the ground level of Monnickendam. I guess I knew this before, but this was the first time it was really brought home to me. Fascinating stuff. Marken is quite a bit smaller than Monnickendam and very quaint - green-painted houses and a lovely little harbor, a kitschy wooden shoe "factory/store", a cafe or two in the harbor area, and - an old church - imagine that! I walked the 7km or so around the island - yes, in the rain - but really enjoyed the quiet and the sense of place. Would be a nice place to visit again in warmer, sunnier weather.

Back on the bus in the afternoon - was going to stop at Broek in Waterland but decided I'd had enough walking about today so opted for the return to Centraal Station - got to save something for the next trip anyway! Turned out to be a drinking evening - Wynand Fockink again and a couple other rather forgettable places, but fun! I always meet interesting people at WF.

Wednesday was Stedelijk day, and I spent a lot of time at this great modern art museum. Had bought my tickets online - always do this! - so breezed in quickly. The featured exhibit was Marcel Wanders, with whom I must admit I was unfamiliar, though I did recognize the knotted chair and a few other iconic installations. But I was absolutely enchanted with his work - a very prolific, creative and interesting artist. I have decided "art in design" is really my favorite form of artistic expression. The museum's collection of other artists - Kandinsky, Chagall, Picasso, Miro, Appel, Calder, Pollock, et al is really extensive and I really enjoyed wandering through the many rooms and different "feels". Definitely a must see and a "will go back" destination for me. Evening brought me to another of my favorite haunts - Cafe de Prins on Prinsengracht - De Konninck beer and good fondue in a relaxed old place. Then of course back to In de Olofspoort for more jenever tasting, comaraderie and chat.

I visited Delft Thursday. Hop, skip and a jump to the station, bought a ticket after waiting in line all of 5 minutes, on the train and in Delft in about an hour and a half. Easy. Highly recommend using the website 9292 for train and bus planning - indispensable! Construction abounds around the Delft station so the route into the part of town one wants to see is a bit circuitous, but I made it fine. As I'm sure others have said, Delft is like a little Amsterdam. though I thought the Markt was very much like the one in Haarlem. Oh, an Oude Kerk! This one with a tower leaning about 2 meters from the vertical - wild. It was founded in the 13th century as St Bartholomew's. A cold and rainy day so spent some time in the Vermeer museum (he was born here), visited a couple of interesting little shops, and stopped for a beer or two or three at the Cafe de Oude Jan (the church is also called Oude Jan) - lovely little cafe serving Heineken and Brand, which I like better. Hopped back on the train and decided to stop at Haarlem (used 9292 to pick the right train since not all of them stop there) for a mocha to warm up at Coffee Date - great coffee! - a couple beers at In den Uiver - nice friendly proeflokaal - and dinner at La Plume - very nicely cooked pork loin satay, frites, and interesting shrimp kroketten. By the way, there is a very cool little shop in Haarlem called Past Joys which you should visit if you're into Tin Tin, Asterisk, etc. I am. Lovely owners and neat stuff - I buy something small everytime I visit (yes, I have multiple Snowy (Milou) dog thingies. Wandered about in the rain a bit after dinner and then took the train back to Amsterdam, where I popped into In de Olofsport for a night cap and then to bed!

Friday sadly was the last day and always comes too quickly. After breakfast and checkout (leaving crack of dawn Saturday!) caught tram #9 at Centraal to go east - this is a great tram ride around - up Damrak, through Rembrandtplein, across the Blauwbrug over the Amstel past Waterlooplein and down by the zoo, Tropen Museum and Oosterpark. Nice way to see these parts of the city if you're tired of walking. My destination was the Dappermarkt, which was very cool - seems more local than Albert Cuyp, different than Nordermarkt. Bought some herring and wondered about looking at everything from hats and underwear to fur coats, sausages and cheese. Fun! Seems a very eclectic area - lots of languages. halal butchers on every other street, etc. Enjoyed it immensely. Tram #9 back to Dam Square, which turned out to be not such a good idea because of all the construction on Damrak! But oh well, managed to navigate through everything and hit up Leonidas for chocolate, one of the souvenir stores for a small canvas Amsterdam bag, and a little corner shop for licorice - Love it! A final visit to Wynand for a tipple and farewells, then down Zeedijk to Nam Kee for dinner, which I find I like better than New King for some reason. Bought some small drawings of Amsterdam from a little shop on Zeedijk, stopped by Olofspoort for a nightgap and goodbyes, then home to back and not sleep until 4 am or so for the long trip home.

A lovely trip again. Always more to see and do in Amsterdam and every time I go I return more in love with the city and determined to come back!

Amsterdam, The...
17. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Hi,

Have you ever heard about an event called Kingsday. Let me tell you a bit about it's historical background.

On the 31st of August, 1885, the Dutch celebrated their first ‘princess day’, in honour of the birthday of the young princes Wilhelmina. This was organized with the aim of national unity. When Wilhelmina’s father, Willem the third -founder of the Republic of the Netherlands- passed away, princess-day became Queensday. Wilhelmina was only 5 years of age when she became queen, but her mother Emma was regent of the Republic until Wilhelmina turned 18. Queensday has been celebrated every year since, but with the inauguration of our new king the name changed to ‘Kingsday’.

The event itself has changed a bit over the years however...

If you're interested, I wrote a blog about a bit of the historical background and my personal experiences of the event. Hope you like it,

…wordpress.com/2014/…

Livingston, United...
reviews: 17
18. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Arrived Sunday 27th April,flight from Edinburgh,our party comprising 4 family adult members. The transition from Airport to Schipol very easy using the automated ticket service.Elected to walk from Central Station to Hotel Van Oona ,, Bloemgracht 104.Listed as a one star hotel. only one available to us due to previous Day being Kings Day. Was pleasantly surprised ,yes basic but lovely and clean, no frills but extremely helpful attentive staff.No tv or coffee making available but we feel entirely unnecessary on a city break of 3 days.Its location is only 200 mtrs from the Anne Frank House and other major attractions were within walking distance.That evening we found the Leidseplein awash with Ajax football supporters celebrating their winning the national league.Well done Ajax.We elected to return to our own locale and dined at Restaurant Amigo on Rosengracht, excellent t-bone steaks,recommended.On same street found and enjoyed the Pub/cafe Golden Florin,attentive staff ,great people watching spot, Was surprised to find it the only premises with smoking inside. On stating my surprise to the barmaid , asking isnt it against the law, her reply,, we choose to ignore it, I loved that attitude,Second evening dined at restaurant Long Pura ,again on Rosengracht. Our first introduction to Indonesian Rice Table was a revalation,Unassuming from the outside , inside however a delightful restaurant with friendly attentive staff.We elected to choose the cheaper version at 25 euros per head , and are glad we did so, how anyone can finish the dearer options is beyond me.A most enjoyable experience which i heartily recommend.Found another wee pub/cafe on the Jonny Jordaan plein, the cafe de Eland ,great people watching spot.My favourite ,was one recommended by Cecile 74 , a regular contributer on here Kantjil de Tigre.A delightful spot directly on the canal allowing one to see within 5 ft all the boats go by.and only a two minute walk from our hotel.I found the Dutch people,very welcoming ,polite and informative.

Frome, United...
reviews: 11
19. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

We've just come back from a fantastic 3 night trip to Amsterdam (stayed on a houseboat , the Little Amstel, which was a perfect way to enjoy the city). We had a brilliant time there, following TA advice - started with a canal boat tour to get orientated (Grey Line) then ticked off a host of things we'd planned to do - a whole day at the Rijksmuseum for my daughter, the Oude Kerk and Our Lord in the Attic, a Sex Museum (a mix of shabby, seedy and hilarious). We went to the zoo, which was beautiful.

We walked so far my daughter got a hole in her Doc Martens, and we managed not to gain any weight despite eating fries and pancakes! Public transport is easy and quick.

The demon cyclists are something to watch out for - you risk being mown down if you cross a cycle path, as they race towards you and show no mercy.

I'd read on TA that there are no public toilets in Amsterdam, and I'd like to reassure anyone who might worry about that - it really isn't a problem. There are public toilets in the central station and in all the museums and churches we went to, and of course in all the cafes/restaurants - so no different from anywhere else in the UK and Europe I've been to.

I loved Amsterdam and will certainly go back - I might have to, as my daughter fell in love with it and wants to go and live there!

20. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:02 pm, May 11, 2014

Reply to: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted