We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 225
Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

I saw this on the London forum originally and now there is one on the Berlin board as well. I thought this was a good idea for all of us that go to Amsterdam or who are thinking of going to read thru the reports to have an idea of what to do and how people viewed there trips and thus we can come back and write up a report on how our trip went.

"""For everyone's convenience and reading pleasure, please post links to all your trip reports (past, present, and future) here on this thread. If you also have pictures posted somewhere on the Net, include those links as well.

Without further adieu, on with the show!"""

If possible can we get this stickied as well?

39 replies to this topic
Auckland Region...
reviews: 77
1. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Good Idea, so that someone can browse through in an easy way.

2. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:30 pm, November 01, 2013
Edited: 2:30 pm, November 01, 2013

Hillsborough, North...
reviews: 75
3. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Amsterdam Trip Report October 2013 (original post 30 Oct 2013)

Lovely trip to one of my favorite places! Haven't followed the Day 1, Day 2 format, but here are my highlights.

Arrived Thursday morning 17 Oct and left very early Monday morning 21 Oct for my flight to Berlin.

Amsterdam is just lovely and still really speaks to me. What a great vibe - lively but still relaxed. Hotel Sebastian's was nice but I thought not such a great value - nothing I experienced really made the extra cost worth it. I guess I'm really a B&B guy at heart. REALLY tiny room, but it was pretty and comfortable, and to be fair they did write me at the time of reservation to say how small it was. Lovely bath with a nice shower. It is in a good location on the Keizersgracht near Brouwersgracht so very convenient to Centraal Station. Beautiful decorating - all kind of purple and mauve and black and tan - very elegant. Nice bar of which I did not take advantage. Glad I tried it, but will probably go back to Hotel Brouwer, La Boheme or someplace else next time. I will post a review shortly.

My ov chipkaart worked like a charm after remembering to top it off at the GVB desk at Schipol - train to/from Schipol, train to/from Haarlem, various trams, etc.

The Rijksmuseum restoration is everything people have said - brilliant, beautiful, stunning architecture inside and out, from the stained glass to the decorative painting to the floors. I'm quite drawn to the art - something about the deep and rich colors, the "daily life" subjects and content, and the perspectives in both the still lifes and the canal house paintings. Vermeer, Steen, Willem Van de Velde (father and son), de Hooch - all wonderful. Night Watch is fantastic and wonderfully staged. And yes, there is indeed a bicycle passage through the building.

Fascinated by Zeedijk for some reason. It's one of my favorite Amsterdam streets. Narrow, with little shops everywhere, the small Chinatown, interesting restaurants, cafes and bars. Very lively, and I find it really fun. Visited In 't Aepjen for the first time and enjoyed the beer and ambiance - pictures and figures of apes and monkeys everywhere. Funny that such a place in the middle of the tourist furor can also be a local - at least that's what it felt like. Ate at New King instead of Nam Kee this time - similar. I enjoyed the Shu Mai dumplings a lot as well as the mixed meat platter - pork, beef, duck. Peking soup, sometimes known as hot and sour, was average. I wasn't wowed by it, but the meal was very good.

Also found In de Olofspoort on Nieuwebrugsteeg, a cafe on the site of one of the old city gates built in the 14th century. It's named for Saint Olof, patron saint of a number of Norwegian cities, apparently in honor of the Norwegian sailors who helped bring thousands of trees from Norway to Amsterdam for the pilings on which the city is built. Known for its 200 or so kinds of jenevers and liqueurs - yum - I like the 3 year old. Raymond the barman is very helpful and friendly. Came back here for a second evening because it was so warm and friendly.

Again visited Wynand Fockink on Piljsteeg near the Krasnapolsky. I just love this place. So many liqueurs, so little time. I really enjoy the Freemason (Vrijmetselaar) - very herbal and a bit sweet, as well as the half and half - with bitters. A fun and friendly place, though somewhat crowded at times - it is very small with no seating so people stand around inside in the sawdust or migrate outside and sit on the ledges in the alley. One can meet many different kinds of folks there.

New to me was the area along Haarlemmerstraat/Haarlemmerdijk, which I really enjoyed. Walked the length of it from Singel to Haarlemmerplein. Narrow, lots of interesting shops and cafes - stopped and bought candy at Papa Bubble - and has a cool feel to it. Seemed less touristy to me and more like a normal "day in the life". If you wander off to the north you come across a number of small, exquisitely-organized courtyard apartment complexes. Really interesting.

Enjoyed hanging out at a couple of new - to me - cafes. Cafe Pieper on Prinsengracht where it meets Leidsegracht was a very pleasant Saturday coffee break sitting outside and people watching - friendly owner and staff. Papeneiland - at the other end of Prinsengracht where it meets Brouwersgracht - was also very nice for a beer and a chat - big windows through which to view the passing world. Nice! Also enjoyed Cafe Langereis at the foot of the Blauwbrug near Rembrandtplein - felt very welcome and had a nice ham and goat cheese sandwich there with my beer.

Cafe de Prins, also on Prinsengracht, has become one of my favorites. I always have felt welcome there and enjoy talking with the barmen/women, who are invariably friendly and interesting. I typically drink de Koninck, which is Belgian, but I like it. Had a Duvel there - also from Belgium - for the first time this trip and enjoyed that as well. I ate there twice this trip for some reason - just kept ending up there. Always either order the fondue or one of the specials from the chalkboard. Good food.

A trip to Amsterdam for me is not complete without a side trip to Haarlem, which I love for its diminutive size, and charm. A quick train ride away, it's home to two of the best small museums anywhere - the Frans Hals museum and the Teylers Museum. And St Bavo's church is one of my favorite churches for its lightness, lovely stained glass, exquisite organ, and general feel. Just wandering about Haarlem is nice - shopping at both high street and independent shops, good frites at Friethuis Vlaminck de, good restaurant choices, some nice cafes. Proeflokaal In den Uiver right across from the northeast corner of the church is one of my all time favorite places to hang out - I drink the Brand beer there, and barman Werner is a good chat. I also got a chance to visit the shop Past Joys on Lange Veerstraat, which carries a bunch of Tin Tin, Asterisk, et al paraphernalia. We read aloud all of the Tin Tin books to my children as they were growing up and remain big fans ( I have a small Snowy dog on my key chain), so that was a special treat.

I walked the length of the Keizersgracht this trip. Relatively long walk, but very pretty. I had never been to the area around Rembrandtplein and thought that was a good way to get there. Was underwhelmed by Rembrandtplein but really liked the Blauwbrug, Magerebrug and of course took the obligatory photos down the Reguliersgracht. Keep meaning to do this circuit by canal boat but never get around to it - next time perhaps! Also spent some time in Vondelpark which I had not done before - pleasant, nice quiet break from the bustle, beautiful garden setting.

Every time I go to Amsterdam I come back even more delighted and in love with the city. What a wonderful place!

One other note - at times walking around Jordaan I felt like the hustle and bustle of all the tourists - I know, I am one - was annoying. I just wanted it to be easier to walk around and quieter so I could appreciate the art, architecture and normal pace of life. So I have a sense for what it must be like to live there and be subjected to this, especially on the weekends. I had a similar experience growing up in Washington, D.C. So I commend the Amsterdammers for being as kind to and patient with us tourists as they are

4. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:45 pm, November 01, 2013
Edited: 3:45 pm, November 01, 2013

Essen, Germany
reviews: 86
5. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

No real long trip report but a day trip report:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…39583078

6. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Removed on: 11:49 am, November 02, 2013

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
7. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

This is a wonderful idea. Here is the link to our trip report for our May 2013 trip (6 nights) -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k66227…

(Please note, however, that the fare to Zaanse Schans - see under Sightseeing - may not be 7 Euros per person each way as reported. We definitely did pay that amount on a Sunday. However, other posters report only having paid 4 Euros. I'm not sure why there would be a difference, but thought I should point it out.)

Edited: 11:51 am, November 02, 2013
Essen, Germany
reviews: 86
8. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

Another link to an interesting trip report that shouldn´t get lost after a while

tripadvisor.co.uk/…54324955

Mumbai (Bombay...
9. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

I had a day to spend in Amsterdam - Went around the city and had a great time.

Walked around the city, visited the Dam square, the red light district, the I amsterdam sign and had a great party.

Please read my post on the same :

…blogspot.in/2013/12/amazing-amsterdam.html

reviews: 46
10. Re: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)

MY TOP TIPS:

1) stay near the museum district, lots of nice bars & restaurants, some beautiful buildings - easy transport access to other areas.

2) It's expensive - be prepared.

3) Trams are an easy way to travel, just remember to check in & off the trams!

4) People are very helpful just ask :)

5) Go in spring or summer would have been a much nicer experience in the dry weather

Edited: 1:21 pm, January 27, 2014
Reply to: Trip Reports Collection - Please post here (Amsterdam)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted