We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol Prices WTF!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ely, United Kingdom
reviews: 3
Alcohol Prices WTF!

Just stayed in Amsterdam for two nights. We stayed just to take a look at the city, with a few bars thrown in at the end of the evening. I last stayed in Amsterdam, approx 23 years ago, in my teens. Although we had a great time, I cannot believe the cost of drinking in the city. Compared to the uk, which I think is becoming expensive, the cost of a night out drinking in Amsterdam is extortionate. The cheapest bar we found charged approx 12 euro's for two pints, another charged 16 euro's. Don't get me wrong, Amsterdam is a great city and a real eye opener, with plenty to see and do.

Tip for stag and hen parties. Calculate how much a weekend of drinking costs you in the UK and double it, and then maybe add a little more.

20 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

You were just drinking at the wrong cafes. At my regular cafe a 45 cl bottle of Grolsch is 3,30. If you would have asked before your trip or used the search we could have saved you a few euros.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
2. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

And when I went to Amsterdam the first time I had a great hotel room in a wonderful small two star-------USD $30 a night.

And while I was not buying the standard 15 mins with a RLD gal was equal to $25. Now it's 50 euros.

My air flight over was for many trips under $300 all in from DC area. Today I would be lucky to keep it under $900.

Drink up at least you are in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
3. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

Regular price is 5 euros for half a liter.

I think only bars at Dam Square and lapdance bars or Babes & Beer charge more.

Save money by drinking some cans of beers from the supermarket while walking around.

Edited: 8:57 am, October 30, 2013
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
4. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

Next time try venturing further than 200 meters from Warmoerstraat. Next time don't order pints. Ordering pints marks you as someone willing to pay whatever they charge. Next time ask here and we could have told you these things. It's good that you've posted your complaint so that folks who do plan ahead will be informed by this thread.

I stop for a drink just about every day. 33cl bottles are typically about E3.80. 25cl drafts are slightly less. That's about a euro or so more than from the store which I'm willing to pay for the view and cozy location.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
5. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

And don't forget the happy hours bars where it's 3 euro for a pint.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
6. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

Not a knock. An observation.

There are normally two types of posts dealing with these drinking $$ topics.

Those that ask for good advice before they go.

Those that complain after.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
7. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

wtf indeed!!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
8. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

and what chuck says is correct...when you order a pint you flag yourself as a tourist and they will hang €6 or 8 on that pint.

Amsterdam
reviews: 69
9. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

Yup. Pints are provided and priced with the unprepared visitor in mind. It's a special service.

:-)

London
reviews: 34
10. Re: Alcohol Prices WTF!

I thought the 'pint' glasses in Amsterdam were actually 0.6litre - which means they are actually giving away 32ml :-)

Reply to: Alcohol Prices WTF!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted