We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel options New Years

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
reviews: 2
Hotel options New Years

I have made a bit of a mistake and have two hotels booked for my 5 nights in Amsterdam (both cancelable fortunately). Costs are similar.

I'm booked at CitizenM which looks like a reasonably nice hotel, but it quite a distance from most of the things I want to see. The other is Quentin England Hotel which is closer to everything but doesn't look nearly as nice. Any advice on which I should cancel? Or should I cancel them both and splash out on a houseboat?

I'd like to be able to watch the New Years parties and fireworks but not necessarily be part of it (I'm travelling alone). I want to see the usual suspects while I'm there: museums, art galleries, the light show, etc.

9 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: Hotel options New Years

I would look for something closer to the city center than the CitizenM, And the Quentin England is closer but leaves a lot to be desired. I would check on Air BnB and see if you can find something closer to or in the center that fits your budget. What are your exact dates? Can have a look at booking.com or hostelworld.com for a few suggestions.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
2. Re: Hotel options New Years

What type of hotel are you looking for? And at what budget?

The two you mention seem more like they would be chosen by two different posters IMO.

Something close in for sure. Especially being alone. I say this as someone who is usually alone when in town.

Something like the Quentin but with much better reviews?

I am assuming the Marriott, Nh Amsterdam Centre, Eden American, etc etc are out of your price range?

Edited: 9:03 am, October 25, 2013
Auckland, New...
3. Re: Hotel options New Years

Thanks for your replies.

I tried booking on AirBnB a little while ago and they told me that bookings for NYE weren't open yet. I may try again.

My dates are 28 December to 2 January. My budget is about 100 euros a night.

Yes, Quentin is not my usual type of hotel but it was within budget and close to the city. I'm looking for safe, clean, comfortable, not too noisy, and easy to get to the sights. I'd like something with a bit of character but that's not a deal breaker at this point.

I've done trips staying in dorms but I'm a bit older now and don't really want to do that. In the other cities I'm staying on this trip, I've managed to find quite good prices in 4 star hotels, but they're not Amsterdam on New Years Eve.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: Hotel options New Years

Single or a double?

If it were me for NYE I would consider a couple of options.

I'd look at the Priceline EXPRESS deal.They have a 4 Central Canal Zone for a little under $200 usd a night. Aout $180-$190.

Likely to be a Nh hotel since they advertise free Internet. Maybe the Carlton or the Nh Amsterdam Center. It would be easy to figure out which.

Considering they have PL hotels via the Express deal I would consider bidding on PL name your own price for a 4 star. Central Canal Zone or Center City Zone.

Maybe a bid or three up to $170 a night. Id start about $125. Bidding costs you nothing unless you win a hotel.

Id keep the Q England and have an adventure.

Lastly I'd keep the Citizen M. Staying farther out just has never appealed to me. YMMV.

Those would be my 4 choices pretty much in order.

Idmalsom

Edited: 8:12 am, October 28, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
5. Re: Hotel options New Years

Idmalsom?

I think my IPad has a mind it's own.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
6. Re: Hotel options New Years

Having just done a hotel search for your dates I think my advice above is pretty good.

Lots of hotels with no rooms. Lots of hotels asking for well over $200 a night. Nice hotels asking a LOT more.

PL express deal, Hotwire ,which I have not looked at yet, or PL bidding is how you will get the best hotel at the best price.

Auckland, New...
7. Re: Hotel options New Years

Thanks for this very useful advice. I went on my first Priceline bidding adventure, but sadly failed.

I've contacted a few AirBnB places, but I think I will just need to gulp and pull out my credit card for one of the more expensive places on the express deals.

Auckland, New...
8. Re: Hotel options New Years

I've ended up with Hotel Okura at USD161 per night (via the Express deals on Priceline). It's a bit further out that I would have liked but I think walkable to most places and a tram close by. And it's only slightly more expensive than the Quentin England.

Now I just need to figure out what I'd doing on New Years Eve....

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
9. Re: Hotel options New Years

Well done. Especially for that time period.

A very good hotel by all accounts. And lets face it-----you got a great price.

Reply to: Hotel options New Years
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted