We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
reviews: 195
Trip Report

First time in the Netherlands, staying in Zaandam, but visiting Amsterdam by train, which is very easy to do. I must say the rain was an issue, but one must carry on. From the start thought Schipol was a nice airport, easy to get around, rail service fabulous. In the rain, walked through the heart of Amsterdam. Canals, boats, the architecture, wow. Watch out for bikes!!! Everyone so very friendly. Eventually found the Rijksmuseum, amazing place. Spent a few dry hours there. Then to the Bloememmarkt, which I would like to see in the spring. Anne Frank House, line ups are very long, strolled over to the Palace and the main square. Very impressive. Over to the Red Light District. It is what it is. Could not come to Amsterdam without seeing it though. It was very busy as the Dutch footy fans were warming up for the World Cup Qualifier. Never seen so much orange. Finished off with a drink at the 1eKlas bar in the Centraal Station. Even though we had walked a good part of the Centrum, we were determined to see more two days later. The weather did not cooperate. I have never seen such wind and rain. We walked along the waterfront to the zoo/botanical area, but were defeated by the weather. My tourist info poncho actually shredded in the wind. WE are so glad we were able to do so much on our first day. We truly enjoyed our first, but short visit to Amsterdam. It makes us want to return to see more and enjoy the culture.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Trip Report

remember on your next trip always bring rain gear when you travel to the Netherlands , Hey you never know :)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
2. Re: Trip Report

Hopefully you'll have better weather next time! Good to see you were still able to appreciate Amsterdam though.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 80
3. Re: Trip Report

Well done for making sure the weather did not put you off exploring! Think how much you will enjoy your next visit ( weather permitting! :P)

4. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 22, 2014