We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Visa and Mastercard Friendly Places

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port-au-Prince...
US Visa and Mastercard Friendly Places

I am travelling to Amsterdam in two weeks, with Euros, but I am requesting places, such as restaurants, coffee shops, museums, stores that people went to in the past year that they recommend and that were US VISA & MASTERCARD friendly. This meaning that they were able to accept and swipe your credit card in that location, even if there was a charge. I would much appreciate it. Thank you.

Jason

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
1. Re: US Visa and Mastercard Friendly Places

Asking for a list of places is unreasonable. Really most places will take it. Just have cash on hand in case.

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 11
2. Re: US Visa and Mastercard Friendly Places

Yes, most restaurants will take your Visa/MC. Yes there are some places that will be chip only, which you won't be able to use. If you have a question before you eat/order, ask. They will tell you. Pala is right, have some cash on hand just in case.

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
3. Re: US Visa and Mastercard Friendly Places

ad i dont knwo any coffeeshops that take visa or mc, there are a few that take chip cards i think,,

Chicago, IL
reviews: 121
4. Re: US Visa and Mastercard Friendly Places

We found it was easy to use our Mastercard almost every place. We don't have a chip in it because we are from the US. It was not a problem. If they take a chip card they will also take our card, at least that is our experience. We did have cash because some places did not take a cc but it was fine. I hope you notify your bank and cc company that you are going to be overseas before you go. I also hope you have a Capitol 1 card or another one that does NOT add a foreign transaction fee. Have a great time. There is tons to do.

Illinois
reviews: 16
5. Re: US Visa and Mastercard Friendly Places

The only places I've run into that don't take swipe cards are automatic ticket machines. I've always been able to use my card everywhere in Europe where there was a human to swipe the card. This includes Amsterdam. Of course places that don't take credit cards at all don't take swipe cards either.

6. Re: US Visa and Mastercard Friendly Places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 18, 2014