We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hrs in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
24 hrs in Amsterdam

I will be traveling home from Johannesburg and have a 24 hr layover in Amsterdam. I will arrive mid morning on a Saturday. I will be staying at a Marriott on Stadhouderskade. Looking for one or two suggestions of what to do in short period of time. Suggestion of a good place to eat in the area would also be welcome. Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
1. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s409/Amsterda…

Here are suggestions for what to do. You will certainly have to,pick and choose.

A canal boat tour about 70 minutes is about as often suggested activity as we have.

Other than that the answers would depend on your interests.

Nice hotel. Great location. Just walking that area should take up much of your time.

Consider taking the express bus from the airport.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
2. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

I am a grab and go type of eater

If you give some idea of the food you like or want to try and an idea of budget you should get some good suggestions.

If there are two of you consider a Rice Table.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
3. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

"Looking for one or two suggestions of what to do in short period of time."

Completely depends on your likes and dislikes, and also the time of day of your layover.

But perhaps this helps:

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…24-hours

"Suggestion of a good place to eat in the area would also be welcome."

What type of food and atmosphere?

Eating out: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…dining-out-amsterdam

Ratings, cuisines and average menu prices (and reviews, mostly in Dutch): www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/leidseplein

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

liverpool, england
reviews: 137
4. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

Yes, depends what type of cuisine you like, and also, for suggestions on things to do, it depends a little on time of year you will visit - the Vondelpark is nice, but I wouldnt suggest it in winter; Museumplein is close by - take photos at the Iamsterdam sign, see the newly re-opened Rijksmuseum (from the outside, given time constraints) and look around the Leidseplein, many drink and food options there. Whatever the weather, make sure you take a boat tour though - gives a potted history, shows the city and gives great views too.

Portland, Oregon
5. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions and great links!! I should have stated that I will be traveling through on the first of March. Guessing chilly weather should be expected. Sounds like a canal tour is the thing to do since I have such a short stay. Then just walking around exploring. Food- I will be on my own, not picky, no budget, I know I'm a "tourist" but love trying/or getting more of a local feel.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
6. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

Local cuisine is nothing to write home about. But if you do want to try something typically Dutch go to Moeders.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
7. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

http://www.bojo.nl/

Here s a suggestion, not far from your hotel. Indonesian food being quite popular.

It's one of the eateries open late at night.

Fairly casual, decent food, fairly inexpensive.

Edited: 5:01 pm, October 13, 2013
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
8. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

About a 10 to 15 minute walk from your hotel - typical Dutch food and highly rated:

http://www.thepantry.nl/

Reservation suggested. One of my favorites.

Essen, Germany
reviews: 80
9. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

The Pantry sounds good, thanks for this suggestion. Sometimes I like typical Dutch food, although it isn´t that different from German food.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
10. Re: 24 hrs in Amsterdam

<I know I'm a "tourist" but love trying/or getting more of a local feel.>

There are two ways to read this.

Either "I want to eat Dutch food"

or "I want to eat where the locals eat" (which is definitely not traditional Dutch food, at least not in restaurants).

I thought she meant the latter. But I can't recommend a specific non-touristy restaurant in that area.

Reply to: 24 hrs in Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted