We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What neighborhood is this street in ?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jerusalem...
reviews: 10
What neighborhood is this street in ?

Hi !

I was wondering what neighborhood Sumatraplantsoen street is in ?

How close in proximity is it to the center of the city ?and how accessible to the center ? I ask , as it might be my base stay fir a 4 day visit .

Thanks !!

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
1. Re: What neighborhood is this street in ?

It's in the Indische buurt (Indonesian district - all streets in that district are named after Indonesian islands). To the center it takes either one hour by foot, 20 minutes by bike, or 3 minutes walk plus 17 minutes by tram 14.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
2. Re: What neighborhood is this street in ?

If you want to get a better idea, go to Google Maps for Amsterdam and type in the street name.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 54
3. Re: What neighborhood is this street in ?

Yes it's in the Indische Buurt, and Math1985 is right about travel times, depending on what you call 'the center'.... the edge of the center is at Mauritskade and is not that far (20 minute walk / 7 minute bike ride). But the travel times Math mentions are to the heart of the center (probably places like Munt / Leidseplein).

But the square Sumatraplantsoen is not in a nice part of Indische Buurt, if you ask me. Look in Google Maps... The two quadrants north of Insulindeweg have plenty of restaurants, cafes and shops, and gentrification. The two quadrants south of it (with Sumatraplantsoen being in the one furthest from the center), don't. They have no cafes or anything, and a high percentage of immigrant families as a population (not yet nicely mixed as in the northern two quadrants). And I have to say, I was genuinely shocked by the state of Sumatraplantsoen last year when I went on a photography tour for work, by the bad state of many houses (in bad need of repairs and maintenance) and the grim atmosphere there. And that was the daytime and I'm not a sissy. And an acquaintance lives there and has negative stories sometimes.

The city council is working very hard to make that square and some other squares more 'livable'. European funds are being pumped into it. But Sumatraplantsoen probably still needs some years...

For a first-time visitor I would not recommend that specific square Sumatraplantsoen. Whereas I love the northwest quadrant (Timorplein, Javastraat and surroundings). Even though the two quadrants are very close, there is quite a difference.

But even the northern, nice quadrants of Indische Buurt would have to be a specific choice of someone who enjoys staying amongst locals, in a residential neighborhood with a little bit of travel time to the center. There is lots on offer in the neighborhood itself but most visitors prefer to stay in the old center, close to the most famous museums.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 8:55 pm, October 11, 2013
Jerusalem...
reviews: 10
4. Re: What neighborhood is this street in ?

Math and Cecile - thank you for your answers . Exactly the info I was looking for ( info google maps doesn't give you ) ... Cecile , your answer was super detailed and interesting .. Is it safe for a woman ( not a particularly scared woman ) to venture out at night ?

I am being hosted in that neighborhood so it's less if a choice .. I don't mind being in less touristic / populated area ...

Thanks again !

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 54
5. Re: What neighborhood is this street in ?

I bike and walk a lot in the two northern quadrants at night, and sometimes along Insulindeweg itself. I feel very safe in those areas north of Insulindeweg, but I don't like biking the Insulindeweg itself at night. Quite dark and quiet.

I'm sure it will be fine to venture out at night, I think I've only been in that Sumatraplantsoen area at night once (all other times were during the day). The main problems are drug dealing, scooter & bike theft & sales, break-ins, harassment (noise, intimidation by groups)... not violent attacks or things like that, at least not that I'm aware of. But I have to say that also occurs north of Insulindeweg and even in Dapperstraat and such, but I've hardly ever noticed, apart from some vague guys hanging out in front of shops after closing hours (and through police I heard they are drug dealers... but it won't affect you if you are not 'in that world').

I'm sure a lot goes on in Jerusalem if you read all the small incidents in the papers, which you might not even notice if you live there.

In the center of Amsterdam there are problems too, mainly pickpocketing (so always hide your valuables well), drunk tourists or locals picking fights, drug dealing as well, traffic accidents (bikes colliding with tourists!)...

I always feel safer on a bike than walking, you're faster that way. Before a guy can think, "hey, a lone woman..." you're already past. And biking is the best way to get around town in my opinion... You never need to wait, or keep an eye on the time for the last tram/bus.

Will your host take you around, or are you interested in the names of some nice cafes, markets etc nearby? For example 't Nieuwe Diep in Flevopark is a lovely distillery of gins and liquors and has a cute little cafe. They distill sweet liquors in over 30 combinations of flavours, with illustrous names which could translate into: "bridal tears, "lift up shirt", "parrot soup" (bright green and delicious, with almond a.o.), "bitter consolation for suffering", "little Hans in the attic" but also simply "coffee liquor", "cinnamon liquor" (yummm), "vanilla liquor". www.nwediep.nl (opening hours in autumn / winter are short)

www.9292.nl/en will tell you all the public transport options from door to door, for example fill out your street address as a starting point, and 'Anne Frank House' (or an address, or a station) as the end point and it will tell you the walking parts and which tram / bus to take. You can also click to see maps of the walking bits.

Have fun!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 3:54 pm, October 12, 2013
6. Re: What neighborhood is this street in ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 14, 2014