We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC
reviews: 1
Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

I am flying to Italy in mid October and have a 10 hour layover in Amsterdam (flight lands around 10 am)

I would love to get to the Van Gogh museum but am a titch nervous about losing my way.

I know it is in the same plaza as the Rijk Museum...so can I take the 197 bus from centraal station to the Hobbemastraat stop which is next to the museum, like someone suggested another person do?

Also I want to do a canal cruise. Will I realistically have time to do both and still get back to Schipol in enough time to go back through security with lots of time to spare?

I am sort of thinking its one or the other?

And last question - should I prebuy a ticket to the museum?

Thanks everyone. Leaving in about 12 days and starting to panic. :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
1. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

Hi there,

See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188553-c79954/The-Ne…

for general info on what's feasible. Yes it should fit. Prebooking a ticket is safest to avoid the queues, and just print Google maps for the vicinity of bus stop and museum and canal boat. The latter is near Leidseplein which is 7 mins walk from VGM and 3 mins walk in the other direction from the Hobbemastraat bus stop. The tours start regularly and take 1:15 hours from there.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

New York City, New...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

maybe think about doing the canal cruise frist, www.canalbus.nl they do a hop on hop off , and you can hop off at the zoo and hop back on after the zoo,, even if you dont do it this way , you will have plemty of time to do both and more,, mabe at the most 2hrs at the museum,, 1-2 hrs on the canal cruise if that

Edited: 7:42 am, October 04, 2013
Vancouver, BC
3. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

The hop on, hop off cruise is a great idea! I thought about that before but don't know what I didn't remember it.

And thanks for the general Amsterdam link - I have looked it over several times - it's just I decided to YouTube some Amsterdam videos and started to realize I really have no idea what to expect. Was hoping for tips in terms of realistic timelines for doing a cruise and the museum. :)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 62
4. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

Do read the reviews about the hop on hop off boats. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d1…

I don't know if those tell you anything about what you see along the way.

I'd suggest just taking bus 197 (half an hour plus the time you need to find it and perhaps wait before it leaves), visit Van Gogh, then do a canal boat tour (one hour round trip) through Blue Boat http://www.blueboat.nl/index_en.html which is between Rijksmuseum and Leidseplein, a 6 minute walk: http://goo.gl/maps/qp0Rw (A = bus 197 stop; B = museum, C = Blue Boat).

Bus 197 seems to go about 4 times an hour during the daytime, you can check it on www.9292.nl/en , using 'more options' and then choosing only the bus.

You can ask the bus driver or anyone in the street where Van Gogh Museum is.

Vancouver, BC
5. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

Thanks! I will definitely check it out.

I was wondering whether the hop off and on canal price was really worth it? But it does literally stop right outside the rijk so it may be a good option

I just have to stop being chicken and go with the flow, but....

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

Well, where would you 'hop on'?

The bus from the airport stops close to the museums too.

I don't know if the hop on hop off canal boat will have commentaries about the things you see along the way. Perhaps the reviews tell you.

The canal tour (blue boat) does have commentaries in your own language.

Edited: 5:27 am, October 05, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

P.S. Perhaps it wasn't clear but the hop on hop off boat is different from a regular one hour canal boat tour; the latter starts and ends in the same place, takes you around the highlights in an hour with explanations and historical facts, you stay on the boat until the end (which is where you started).

The 'hop on hop off' is different, it sort of serves as a means of transportation from A to B, with higher prices and lower frequency than trams. Read the reviews.

Vancouver, BC
8. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

okay....so did a little digging.

I could technically take the 197 bus from the airport (I can buy tickets before getting on the bus correct?) straight to the Hobbemastraat stop and walk to the museum....and I see that the Blue Boat dock is relatively near the museumplien.

so would it make sense to take the 197 straight from the airport, head to the Van Gogh, hop on to the Blue Boat cruise, return to the starting point...jump back on the 197 back to Schiphol?

Again, my flight lands at 10 a.m. or so. Have to get through customs and passport control, then figure out where my next gate is, store my carry on, head to the bus station.....I could like be in town by???? noon perhaps?

2 hours at Van Gogh, lunch quickly, Blue Boat....back on the bas back to Schiphol by 5?

My departing flight is at 8:30 (to Italy).

Sorry...I am clearly writing out my thoughts...just don't want to catch myself short, and since I will have taken a long overnight flight from West Coast of North America...will likely be a titch tired. :P

Anyone think this plan is a horrible idea?

Vancouver, BC
9. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

Another question - since I won't know exactly when I will be getting into town - should I bother pre buying tickets for the museum?

I'm actually more interested in the Van Gogh museum then the canal cruise at this point (which of course could change as soon as I get off the plane) ;)

10. Re: Van Gogh Museum - 10 hour layover - mid October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 07, 2014