We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gilroy, California
reviews: 13
Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

HI, I booked a trip to Amsterdam arriving 425/14, and leaving 4/28/14. I recently found out that King's Day will be held on the 26th, (Saturday) and am wondering if I should try and change the days I will be in the city.

I'm a senior citizen, traveling solo. Not into partying or drinking, and mainly interested in checking out the museums and historical places of interest. My hotel is near Leidesplain.

Do you think that the crowds and transportation will be issues for me during my stay though the holiday period? Or is it just the one day, Saturday, that will be a bit challenging to get around in the city?

31 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
11. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Will the major museums be open? What about Keukenhof?

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
12. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

St. Patty's Day on 5th Avenue is nothing like King's Day. +1 on Matty.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 61
13. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Tvlnlady, they will probably be open. Check their websites. Anne Frank House might take ages to reach through thick crowds. Look at Google Images of 'koninginnedag amsterdam' just to get an idea. http://bit.ly/1c25FPm

Edited: 4:07 pm, February 24, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
14. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

How about arriving on 27 Apr, will there still be celebrations? I was told celebrations starts 25 to 27 Apr

Amsterdam, The...
15. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Skpooh, normally King's Day is on the 27th but this year that date is on a Sunday so they moved King's Day to Saturday 26th of April 2014.

There will be celebrations on the evening of the 25th and on the 26th full day.

27th will be clean-up day (and perhaps 28th too).

Singapore, Singapore
16. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Am I right to say that 27th and 28th everything will be back to normal? including public transport, tourist attractions, keukenhof, shops?

Amsterdam, The...
17. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Yes, that's right. Except it might be a bit smelly and trashy. :-)

Back to normal Sundays and Mondays that is: shops outside the center may not be open; shops are usually closed every Monday morning; many restaurants are closed on Mondays but plenty still open as well.

All in all nothing to stop you from visiting then.

Edited: 10:57 am, March 10, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
18. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Centre? Meaning where? I hope we can still find food. ...

Amsterdam, The...
19. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Well the center is called Centrum and is the city center. See the top question about areas for a map, or look at Google Maps and find the semi-circle interspersed with semi-circular canals, bordered by the water in the north, and by the Nassaukase - Stadhouderskade - Mauritskade ring.

Like I said of course plenty will be open as on any Sunday and Monday. Small as it may be, Amsterdam is still a metropole and capital city.

Singapore, Singapore
20. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Ok, thanks, Cecile!

Reply to: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted