We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gilroy, California
reviews: 14
Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

HI, I booked a trip to Amsterdam arriving 425/14, and leaving 4/28/14. I recently found out that King's Day will be held on the 26th, (Saturday) and am wondering if I should try and change the days I will be in the city.

I'm a senior citizen, traveling solo. Not into partying or drinking, and mainly interested in checking out the museums and historical places of interest. My hotel is near Leidesplain.

Do you think that the crowds and transportation will be issues for me during my stay though the holiday period? Or is it just the one day, Saturday, that will be a bit challenging to get around in the city?

31 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
1. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

The city will be very busy in Kings Day and there will be no trams running in the centre. However your hotel is very near the main museums so you can walk there.

The museums themselves are usually fairly quiet on the day itself as most people will be in town to party.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
2. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

It's just that one day

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Depending on where near Leidseplein your hotel is located, the area surrounding or close to your hotel, or the access to and from your hotel could require walking through extremely dense crowds of partying people for part of the day but only on King's Day itself. It will also depend on where they place and if they place music podia in the Leidseplein area for the day's celebrations.

Edited: 1:27 pm, October 03, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 70
4. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

King's day will be crazy busy. Thick crowds, no public transport in the center, and getting to Central Station for example would take 4 times the walking time compared to usual, just because of the crowds.

There might also be more people looking to party the night before.

The day after King's day it will be a mess in the streets although the council will be working hard to try and clean it up.

I don't know if museums are open that day, I imagine it's probably nice and quiet in them in case they're open.

You might enjoy a peek inside Vondelpark on King's day which is for the kids (selling stuff, playing music and doing games to earn money); so not too many drunk party people there.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

5. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:18 pm, December 22, 2014

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 70
6. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Just to get an idea of the crowds in Amsterdam: http://bit.ly/1aPsBvX

Also avoid using trains to, from or anywhere near Amsterdam on the 26th of April 2014. The trains will be like sardine cans, and the stations and areas around them will be super crowded (a few years ago riots broke out... that is why they are now urging people to use other stations apart from just Central Station). It's better to stay in the city than to try and do a daytrip to another place on that day.

Be aware that the weekend before that is Easter weekend which also attracts many tourists, most Europeans have Easter Monday off and visit for a long weekend, and also because there is a chance to see blooming tulips in the Netherlands.

Edited: 5:10 pm, October 03, 2013
New York City, New...
reviews: 10
7. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

dont rebook its only ne day , and it will be a wonderful experience,, have no worrys, there will be crowds on that day, but what a great atmosphere,, its a somethign to check off the bucket listi have a few photos of past queens days if your interested on my flickr

peace Matty

www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty

new york
reviews: 32
8. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

Thanks so much. Sounds like St. Patty's Day in New York City!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
9. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

probably more like new years eve in times square.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
10. Re: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014

better much much better

Reply to: Amsterdam's King's Day 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted