We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 generations visiting Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Herndon, Virginia
3 generations visiting Amsterdam

Anyone have any must- see stops in Amsterdam for me, my 17 & 19 year old sons and my mom? We already have tix for Anne F and for a canal cruise. Caveat- only 3 full days. Any help? Thanks so much!!

12 replies to this topic
Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
1. Re: 3 generations visiting Amsterdam

Have a look at the Top Question at your right

"What is there to see and do?"

Tell us what you're interested in and we can give you more specific advise

liverpool, england
reviews: 142
2. Re: 3 generations visiting Amsterdam

How about a cocktail (or beer or coffee) at the Sky Lounge atop the Doubletree Hilton, next to the station; great place to see the city and the river, especially as night sets in and the city is illuminated. Also the infamous RLD is somewhere to see, and say you have seen it!

My cousin lives in Herndon - have a good trip xxx

Hartford, WI
reviews: 40
3. Re: 3 generations visiting Amsterdam

We are doing a 3 generation trip too. Will be watching this topic.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 52
4. Re: 3 generations visiting Amsterdam

Itinerary suggestions for 3 days in Amsterdam: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…72-hours

Have fun!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Herndon, Virginia
5. Re: 3 generations visiting Amsterdam

oh- love the sky lounge idea for one night for sure! thank you!

i guess we want to get a real feel for the culture, as much as possible, while there. (one of my sons is studying in well for the semester, so will be meeting us, and we're also spending a few days there in a b&b. )

we'd also like to experience some authentic dutch food, although we are all vegetarians! any thoughts on this?

thanks so much to all of you!

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: 3 generations visiting Amsterdam

Well the Dutch don't eat much traditional food anymore, but rather dishes from Asia and other continents.

But you will find the top 10 Dutch food restaurants here: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experience/what-to-do/e…

.. including the much recommended (and thus probably very touristy by now) Moeders; as well as a favorite of mine called Wilde Zwijnen which also does surprise menus (allowing you to state dislikes and allergies beforehand).

Also have a look at this wonderful page full of typically Dutch snacks, pies and other foods: eatyourworld.com/destinations/…amsterdam

For example if you have a sweet tooth you cannot leave without trying poffertjes. :-)

Some very 'Dutch' foods by now are also the colonial remnants: Indonesian rice table (sort of tapas of Indonesian food); and Surinamese food. About 10% of Amsterdam's population is from Suriname or the Dutch Antilles. For example Lalla Rookh is a simple-looking place serving fantastic and cheap Surinamese food; so is Warang Sranang Makmur (Javanese Surinamese, so a bit of Indonesian mixed in... All due to the colonial past). These places are just outside the center but will allow you to soak up some real Amsterdam culture the way the locals live it, but also to visit popular Brouwerij 't IJ along the way (beer brewery and bar underneath a windmill), Dapper market, Tropenmuseum (anthropology and again, colonial times), Artis Zoo...

Andbrand new popular cafes and bars with outdoor seating like Biertuin, Bukowsi...

Most of those places are at just a 15 minute tram ride from Dam or Munt square in the center, or a 5 minute train ride from Central Station to Muiderpoort. www.9292.nl/en for a door-to-door public transport planner including maps for the bits you may need to walk.

If you decide to walk to Brouwerij 't IJ I recommend going via the lovely street called Entrepotdok with beautiful homes in former warehouses.

You could also go ice skating on the 400 meter rink of Jaap Edenbaan, www.jaapeden.nl and have typically Dutch drinks afterwards.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 7:39 pm, October 01, 2013
Amsterdam
reviews: 69
7. Re: 3 generations visiting Amsterdam

Authentic vegetarian Dutch food? Now there's a challenge.

Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: 3 generations visiting Amsterdam

<Authentic vegetarian Dutch food? Now there's a challenge.>

Poffertjes!

Amsterdam
reviews: 69
9. Re: 3 generations visiting Amsterdam

Wat dacht je van een broodje patat?

http://goo.gl/orR2fe

Edited: 10:57 am, October 02, 2013
Port Townsend...