We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily Planning!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
johor bahru
reviews: 32
Daily Planning!

Hi,

We already decided where to go, but for direction wise, I need some help!

We stay in Orlando in Oct,

Day 1 (Tue) - After hotel breakfast,

a) We will do the Plas canal cruise(so we will cover the Prinsengracht);

b) Walk to flower market(+coffee break);

c) Walk to Central library (lunch there);

d) Walk to Dam Square(+coffee break);

e) Take a tram to Leiden Square (dinner there);

Day 2 (Wed) The Zaanse Schans (whole day)

Day 3 (Thu) After hotel breakfast,

a) Walk to Waterlooplein flea market(+coffee break);

b) Walk to De 9 Straatjes(lunch there);

c) Walk to "Chocolatl";(+coffee break);

d) Walk to Red Light district(+dinner nearby)

After back from Paris,

Sat, after hotel breakfast, walk to Noorermarkt and Joordan(+ lunch there),

back to hotel before 1pm. (need to go to airport by 4pm)

Is the planning OK? I mentioned "walk", but not so sure whether it is a walking distance? And also too much in a day or just nice!

Expect to spend Euro10 for simple lunch(per person), and Euro15-20 for simple dinner! Reasonable?(No wine/beer for us!)

Thank you!

Edited: 4:36 am, September 25, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
1. Re: Daily Planning!

That's a nice location to stay.

Yes most of the walks you wrote about are very doable, not too far. On day 1 you're going back and forth and back and forth the same way 4 times. Might be more logical this way:

- start with a quick look at Dam Square, not much to see there except the palace

- canal boat trip (will probably follow Herengracht and some other canals like Oude Schans, Brouwersgracht, IJ... it will be a beautiful boat ride!

- drinks at Central Library which is close to Plas, or better yet, at Double Tree Hotel's rooftop bar on the 11th floor (more expensive but better views; at the library the view is only one way and has concrete slabs blocking half the view)... although the library itself is nice, it has some funky furniture... they're very close together so you could do both

- walk to Flower Market (I suggest walking via Zeedijk, Nieuwmarkt and Kloveniersburgwal... Latei on Zeedijk is also a great little vintage place for lunch but it might be too early still)

- have lunch in the Flower Market area, for example at La Place in the shop called V&D (same restaurant as at the library, nice buffet style food) or at grand cafe De Jaren, or at cute little cafe Katoen with lots of locals, or at Bagels & Beans inside the book shop Polare (formerly Scheltema)

- for dinner you could go anywhere... the streets around Leidseplein have loads of touristy and pretty bad restaurants but also some really good ones. This may help you decide: www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/leidseplein > it shows you ratings, average menu prices, and you could translate the reviews with Google Translate if you want to read more.

If you have time left you could stroll through Vondelpark which will probably look amazing with all the colourful autumn leaves.

I had not heard of Chocolatl, and that's probably a good thing, me being an addict and all. :-) You will also love Puccini which has a few shops (one is close to Waterlooplein).

As for dinner on day 3, I suggest choosing one of the cheap Asian eateries on Zeedijk which is near RLD. Or maybe fancy burgers at gay (but straightfriendly) cocktail bar Getto, also at the border of RLD, all their burgers are named after drag queens. They also serve some other dishes. And loads of cocktails.

I'd say lunches might be between 7 and 15 euros without drinks depending on whether you choose a sandwich, soup or a warm meal.

Dinner is usually around 14-18 euros for just a main course but could be less, or more, depending on which restaurant.

Have fun!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:18 am, September 25, 2013
liverpool, england
reviews: 164
2. Re: Daily Planning!

I do agree with Cecile somewhat, that you are criss crossing a little; I would suggest maybe doing the Leidenplein area on the other day, and doing the red light district on the first night.

I also agree that the Hiltons skylounge has better views, being wrap around, than the library, but the library offers inexpensive and very good quality food for lunch (another La Place place, like the one Cecile mentions at Muntsplein near flower market, there is also, on the terrace/1st floor a nice pasta place too), so maybe get your lunch there and go to skylounge for coffee after lunch - just for the better view, and you can compare both yourself to see what we mean. Another option for lunch, still in that area, is the floating Sea Palace; It does tend to get a 'waste of money' opinion on here but we have really enjoyed their lunchtime 'dim sum' where you can try little bites of dishes - and these are not on the normal menu during the evening, it is a bit like an asian version of tapas, and the restaurant is lovely too.

These 3 places are all within 300m of each other.

Have a great trip, and well done with your planning!

Amsterdam, The...
3. Re: Daily Planning!

Yes, like Juejosh says the library has two places to eat: La Place with the semi-blocked view on the 7th floor; and Vapiano on the 1st floor, which has good food for very low prices.

I just noticed there aren't any museums on your itinerary. Not interested in seeing Anne Frank House?

Oh, and one full day at Zaanse Schans may be a bit much. Most people spend a few hours there. There are organized tours that take in Zaanse Schans, Volendam and Marken in one day, I don't know how rushed that is.

Perhaps you could visit Zaanse Schans and Alkmaar in one day. Alkmaar is one hour travel time from Zaanse Schans, and then a 38 minute train ride back to Amsterdam. You can plan public transport via www.9292.nl/en and even see the bits you need to walk on maps, if you click that button.

Or just come back to Amsterdam early and stroll around leisurely.

johor bahru
4. Re: Daily Planning!

Thanks you so much Cecile74,

Yes! I was thinking of asking "autumn leaves" the other day, I will definately GO!ha!

Sorry no museum for us, we are after the scenery, coffe, cheese, people, market...ha!

I will re-arrange the 1st day, you save me a lot of trouble, THANKS! XIE XIE!(in Chinese)

I found the "Chocolatl",

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d2…

johor bahru
5. Re: Daily Planning!

Hi Juejosh,

Thanks for reply, the reason I didn't put the RLD on the first night is because, it is the first time they(the other member) go to Europe, it may give them too much "culture shock" on the very 1st day! hahaha!

Will definately try the "dim sum"!

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: Daily Planning!

<Sorry no museum for us, we are after the scenery, coffe, cheese, people, market...ha!>

Very good choices as well!

And you may be right about the culture shock in the RLD! Personally I am still shocked by some of the visitors' shameless and arrogant, demeaning behavior (i.e. laughing at the workers there and shamelessly making lewd gestures) every time I happen to be there. I try to avoid it but sometimes there's no choice. Anyway, I guess it can be a must-see.

johor bahru
7. Re: Daily Planning!

Hi Cecile74

I was in Amsterdam before, but never been to RLD! It is not a "must see" for me! Actually, I haven't told them I am going to bring them there! Ha! Since I am the one organize this trip, so I should let them have the chance to see as a tourist! They will decide! But one for sure, they will enjoy the "autumn leave" much better, hahaha!

Edited: 8:07 am, September 25, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
8. Re: Daily Planning!

The RLD is an interesting ,,safe, popular attraction that is busy with tourist throughout the day.

There is no nudity. For that you need to pay 50 euros.

You will see less skin than on a normal day at the beach.

While some love to be drama queens about the area, at other forums, it's a tame but interesting area for an interesting walk.

My Mrs did get her butt pinched by sex worker there as we walked by one day. In the covered area. The Mrs survived. Still tells that story today though.

I have worked some hardcore, tough, sex worker areas in the US.

Those I would warn you about. Not the one in Amsterdam.

Beyond tame. But interesting.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Daily Planning!

This place is right across the Singel Canal from the Flower Market and offers a high up 360 degree view of the city:

http://www.blue-amsterdam.nl/

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
10. Re: Daily Planning!

@hualien

Actually Sea Palace doesn't float (like the famous Hong Kong Jumbo restaurant) the whole restaurant is resting on concrete, but it gives you a nice view over the water.

For the best dim sum in town however, you will have to visit Oriental City on the Damstraat.