We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Choice - Vondelpark or Dam Square?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
34 posts
Hotel Choice - Vondelpark or Dam Square?

Hi,

We are planning to be in Amsterdam as a stopover in early Nov for 3 days . I have booked the Marriott hotel. However, I read somewhere that there are construction work going on in the area which affected the tram route.

As we have only 3 days, should we change hotel to somewhere more central around Central Station or Dam Square? Our budget is about EUR250 a night for 2 adults & 2 kids under 10 y.o. However, I have been having trouble finding a room with 2 double bed in the area. Don't think the hotels let us squeeze in a triple room either. Apartment I think is not an option for us since we will be staying only for a short period.

Thanx in advance!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,022 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Hotel Choice - Vondelpark or Dam Square?

The construction work is not near the Marriott, it will only effect the trams en route from Central station.

I would keep the booking as it is. If you are coming in from Schiphol you will be much better using bus197 than train & tram anyway.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
11,418 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Hotel Choice - Vondelpark or Dam Square?

Vondelpark is fine in my opinion, it is very centrally located with regards to Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Stedelijk Museum, Leidseplein (restaurants, bars, nightlife), the park. You can easily walk to Anne Frank House and the Flower Market as well, no need to take trams, Amsterdam is a very compact city.

Example, walking to Anne Frank House is only 20 minutes: http://goo.gl/maps/HIwaF

Personally I like the Dam Square area less than Vondelpark. Canal belt and Jordaan would be great though... but it's all very close together.

I think booking an apartment for 3 days is perfectly feasible although some may only take longer bookings. I even stayed somewhere 1 night through AirBnB.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

3. Re: Hotel Choice - Vondelpark or Dam Square?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 26, 2014