We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 27
Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

II am taking my partner for 3 nights next February to celebrate her 50th birthday. We are flying in on the day of her birthday and staying in a hotel some 15 minutes or so out of the city centre. Does anyone have any suggestions of a lovely restaurant in the city I can take her to for a birthday meal and somewhere to have drinks before/after? We love all kinds of food but are not really into nightclubbing or loud music .... Thanking you in advance for help! :)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 72
1. Re: Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

It would really help if you mentioned which hotel you were staying at as well as your preference for food and how much you wanted to spend.

There are many lovely restaurants in the city so you really need to narrow it down a bit.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 54
2. Re: Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

Happy 50th in advance to your partner :-)

You could try Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen in a very historical building in central Amsterdam, tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d6…

Or any other restaurant serving Dutch food (which there are not many of, as the Dutch tend to eat international foods nowadays): iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experience/what-to-do/e… (Moeders could be nice, and Wilde Zwijnen is great)

Or charming De Reiger in De Jordaan (central Amsterdam), tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d1… , and have drinks at brown, historical Cafe 't Smalle, or De Prins (many locals), or Spanjer & Van Twist (more of a cafe / restaurant than a bar but do serve drinks; has seating upstairs too), or any cafe/bar that takes your fancy in that lovely district.

Or at Quatfass in eastern Amsterdam, tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d4… , and have drinks at Bukowski, Kuijper or Biertuin, all bars with friendly service and nice atmosphere and a mixed crowd (though mostly young on weekend nights).

Or (was also in the iamsterdam.com list of restaurants for Dutch food, but also has French cuisine): Wilde Zwijnen in eastern Amsterdam, tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d1… , try the surprise menu if you like... you can say which foods you don't like or are allergic to, and for example ' no cheese for desert'... and the chef will come up with a surprise. But you can also order from the menu. Before going there you could have home brewed beers at Brouwerij 't IJ underneath a real windmill (open until 8pm). www.brouwerijhetij.nl Afterwards you could have drinks at Badhuis (mixed crowd, locals) or Studio K (locals, students and hostel guests from next door).

There are plenty of other restaurants that I like but that don't really have the 'special occasion' vibe... for example Trouw has interesting (creative) and delicious food and very friendly service, but the building is a bit industrial / rough / cool and I don't know if it's all that romantic. The same goes for Baut, which scored a "10-" out of 10 with the cities food reviewer (who passed away this week unfortunately), the late Johannes van Dam.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:25 pm, September 23, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
3. Re: Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

P.S. Door-to-door public transport planner to see how long it takes to get from A to B: www.9292.nl/en

P.P.S. Check recommendations in the forum again by January, February.... new restaurants pop up all the time, old ones go bad or bankrupt, etc.

London, United...
reviews: 27
4. Re: Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

Apologies - I should have said we will be staying at the Westcord Fashion Hotel, we love ALL food and budget wise - well, I guess it would be around £100? but this is not set in stone as I have no idea what the cost of eating out is in Amsterdam ? Thank you.

Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

On www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam they mention the average menu price. And all ratings for all restaurants in Amsterdam. You can look up the ones I mentioned via the search box. They said they are (finally...) working on an English version of the site so by Feb you may be able to read more. Until then Google Translate is your friend.

My suggestions in post 2 are all over town because you asked for something 'in the city' and because those are nicer areas than where you said you'd be staying.

On that iens website you can narrow the search by ticking an area ('meer wijken' > west).

Edited: 3:43 am, September 24, 2013
Trond
6. Re: Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

As for drinks, I really liked the hotel bar on the 23rd floor of Hotel Okura. Great views, great cocktails - very romantic. I can also recommend the Japanese teppanyaki restaurant in the same hotel.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 72
7. Re: Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

There is a nice Sky bar in the hotel although not much around the immediate area. Cedars is a Lebanese place looking out on the lake the other side of your hotel which I suppose will be romantic. It is also walking distance

For 100 quid you won't get a meal in the Okura for 2 people.

Are you prepared to travel anywhere in town for this meal?

Edited: 8:03 am, September 24, 2013
liverpool, england
reviews: 150
8. Re: Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

The restaurant in the Hotel its self we found to be delicious when we stayed there back in Feb '11, and in fact we ate there on both nights of our stay as it was so nice, and it would be within your budget (I did a quite extensive review on it, maybe it would help).

The sky bar in the hotel was nice too, but is not a patch on the Sky lounge at the Doubletree by Hilton so although it is nice and convenient for a nightcap in your hotel, I would have a cocktail there too. Also, for a special drink before or after your meal, if you go into the city centre, try Bubbles and wines, it is lovely and so much choice and knowledgeable staff that can make recommendations too.

Hope you both have a great time.

9. Re: Recommendations for a 50th birthday celebtation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 26, 2014