We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 56
6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

Hi experts and group members,

Here I'm back to trip advisor and new to Amsterdam forum...after planning two succesive trips to Switz,paris and Austria,Germany in the past two years (with the extensive help from destination experts and forum members ). Now need your inputs to plan my Netherlands,Belgium trip for 2014.

Our (family of 2 adults & 2 children -15 & 12 ) main target will be Keukenhof...so we've planned the trip from dubai April 28th to May 5th (Selected these dates for the best probability to se keukenhof and the fields . Also, easter and KIng's day will be over by 27th )

1. In the past we 've always enjoyed most of our days staying in small villages (chalet in Lauterbrunnen -Switz and farm house in Anthering-Austria) .Here also i'm in search of any typical dutch house in a village ,easily accesible to public transport (we won't be hiring car).

2. .As of now ..after going through many posts here i've framed a rough itinerary:

28 th - Afternoon reach Amsterdam.

29 th - Keukenhof , tulip fields visit .

30th - Day trip to Brussels .

May 1st- Day trip to Geithoorn ( if possible stay there for a night )

2nd -Amsterdam city -canal tour .

3rd - Trip to Marken,Volendam ,Wind mills.

4th - Amsterdam city- sight seeing.

Waiting for advice from experts and other members...for a fine tuning.

Can we do all the above trips by ourselves with public transport or need to book tours?

If we can do it , please suggest the best place (away from city ) to stay.(we dont mind booking through tours for one or places if needed).

Thanks a lot.

Edited: 11:18 pm, September 22, 2013
manchester UK
reviews: 25
1. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

I am confident you will be able to arrange the above trips yourself. It is easy to buy tickets for the train and boat tours.

What I notice is that the 2nd day involves more travelling. Why not spend the 2nd day settling in. The boat trip on this day will help you get a feel for the city immediately.

Volendam and Brussels are worth a visit but please concentrate your time on Amsterdam. It will be worth it!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 43
2. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

IMO Brussels is too far for a day trip.If you are intent on going there at least make it an overnight stay.

Dubai, United Arab...
3. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

Thanks for your replies.

It'd be realy helpful if you could sort out the best location for our stay.

We prefer country side with easy access (say 5 mts walk to the nearest train/bus station)..in a self catering appartment or farm house some thing like that.

Thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 70
4. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

Too bad you will be missing out on Kingsday, any particular reason? It's crazy in Amsterdam, but fun and mellow in other towns. People sell old stuff on the street, there may be some live music performances, lots of games for children... why not join a small local party in a small town and see Dutch culture? As far as I understand you won''t be staying overnight in Amsterdam anyway?

<Here also i'm in search of any typical dutch house in a village ,easily accesible to public transport (we won't be hiring car).>

I suggest Weesp or Abcoude if you want to be close to Amsterdam. And do consider finding an apartment rather than a hotel or B&B. That way you can make your own breakfasts at a time that is convenient for you, do some laundry, etc.

Both towns have quick and easy train connections to Amsterdam; Abcoude also has a direct connection to Utrecht. http://www.trein-kaart.nl/ for a map, www.9292.nl/en for a planner that will show you travel times and cost.

Haarlem is also a very nice city, but bigger than Weesp or Abcoude. Haarlem will probably put you close to the flower fields (Lisse & surroundings). From central Haarlem you can bike to the beach in half an hour.

Heemstede-Aerdenhout also has a train station and many posh villas, but there may also be new ugly bits, I don't know it that well.

You may even want to stay in tiny Bloemendaal so that you are right at the beach. There are buses to Haarlem, see www.9292.nl/en for connections to other places in the Netherlands and decide whether those travel times are still doable for you.

I don't know why of all places you would want to visit Brussels. There are at least 4 other towns in Belgium that are a LOT nicer: Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, Leuven... Brussels is a big, grey, smelly city with wide motorways running through the middle, and yes a few nice bits here and there. The other towns I mentioned are picturesque and historical, pedestrian-friendly, have mellow vibe and lots of nice cafes and shops, as well as museums and history. Ghent even has a castle in the middle. But is quite far for just a daytrip (especially by public transport). Antwerp may be doable.

Apart from towns in Belgium, the Netherlands also has tonnes of interesting cities and villages you could visit and that are much more interesting than Brussels in my opinion, for example Enkhuizen and its open air Zuiderzee Museum, Leiden, Delft, Utrecht, Oudewater, Maastricht, Nijmegen, Arnhem, Deventer, Zwolle, Hattem, Kampen, Heusden, Den Bosch, etc etc.

<3rd - Trip to Marken,Volendam ,Wind mills.>

Most efficient way is by organized tour from Amsterdam. But if you want more freedom to explore as long as you want (without set times for the tour bus), you may prefer going by public transport. Lots of windmills at Zaanse Schans. All these places are highly touristy but well worth a visit.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 5:35 am, September 23, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

P.S. As for our beaches, they are grey, with grey cold water. Just so you know. ;-) But I still love them, I just love the free open view and the salty air. Walking in the dunes can also be lovely.

Dubai, United Arab...
6. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

Thanks a lot Cecile.

1. Actually after reading lot of things abt the crowd on king's day in Amsterdam, we thought of planning it after that.

2. As u've mentioned , i'll start searching for appartment in Abcoude /Weesp.

3. We wish to make a visit to one more country near by Netherlands, since we had already been to Bavarian region of Germany, thought to make it to Belgium, and we from Asia ....the moment think about Belgium...only Brussels comes to mind...sure will have your point in mind abt the travel time and think about Antwerp/Brugges.

4. Hope most of the places in my itinierary are doable in a relaxed way. so that i can book my flights for the above mentioned dates...or should i add on one or two days?

thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

What I meant to say is, Kingsday will be fun in other towns, and will NOT be that crowded. Only Amsterdam is that crazy because hundreds of thousands of people travel there especially. Most cities and villages will have celebrations as well but it will be very doable. I think it would be a shame to miss that cultural experience.

Just avoid Amsterdam or using trains near Amsterdam on that day.

And hey, anyone asking me 'should I add a few days?' can only expect one answer: yes of course! Especially if you want to travel to Belgium too.

You may want to get open jaw flights, flying into Amsterdam, but out of Brussels or even Paris.

Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

Oh - and lots of info about international trains here: www.seat61.com > info about how and when to buy tickets, which options there are, etc.

( www.9292.nl/en planner only works for the Netherlands)

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
9. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

Just thought I'd chime in with a listing of flats in and around Edam:

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…edam

Dubai, United Arab...
10. Re: 6 days itinerary ...April 28 to May 5th!

Thanks Cecile ..for all your thoughts and tips.

Thanks ddavis...the link you have given is realy helpful.