We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel to/from amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
reviews: 22
train travel to/from amsterdam

we are planning to stay in leiden for 10 days and use it as our base and want to spend a few days in amsterdam and rotterdam traveling daily by train, does anyone know the daily return prices please.

could hire a car but really would prefer not to

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 60
1. Re: train travel to/from amsterdam

No, indeed, do not rent a car! The train will take you from city center to city center without any hassle. The cities are all car-unfriendly with regards to finding parking spots and cost, and getting from the edge into the center may cost a lot of time. So just take trains.

www.9292.nl/en is a door-to-door public transport planner and will tell you the single fare, times, and also the public transport you might need to get from your accommodation to the train station.

Leiden Central Station (CS) - Rotterdam CS = €6.80 p/p one way

Leiden CS - Amsterdam CS = €8.40 p/p one way

More details through that website I just mentioned.

At Leiden and Rotterdam station you will either need to buy tickets from the machines using coins, or buy from a live person at the counter for €0.50 extra. The machines in Leiden and Rotterdam do not take credit cards or paper money, and from what I understand they don't take foreign debit cards either. The ones in Amsterdam CS do take credit cards of certain brands.

I hope you are aware that Rotterdam is quite an ugly grey city, with some cool modern architecture here and there. It is worth visiting, but do not expect an easy, picturesque town. Most of it was bombed during WWII and quickly rebuilt after. You really need to know where you want to go, you won't stumble upon the nice places by accident (like in Amsterdam and Leiden). My tips about Rotterdam in this thread (I used to live there for a couple of years and still visit at least once a year): tripadvisor.com/…0

Have fun in the Netherlands!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
2. Re: train travel to/from amsterdam

Use this site for train travel inside the Netherlands

http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

And this one for general travel with all kind of public transport

www.9292ov.nl/en

edit-

wow, leave it to Cecile to write a complete book about how to travel.

well done!

Edited: 6:29 pm, September 22, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 60
3. Re: train travel to/from amsterdam

Thanks Henkie. I just realized I wrote "The train will take you from city center to city center without any hassle." Disclaimer: if all goes well. Obstructions and delays do sometimes occur. Check that website for the exact date you're traveling so that you will at least see planned works and detours if any.

Belfast, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: train travel to/from amsterdam

thanks for the replys, food for thought

5. Re: train travel to/from amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 26, 2014