We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's 2014

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Year's 2014

Hello everyone,

We are 23 and 21 yo from Serbia.

I am planning my new year's trip and the choice is down to the following two options:

1. Amsterdam or

2. Paris + Amsterdam, spending New Year's eve in Paris, on Champs-Elysees probably.

Amsterdam only option includes 3 nights in Amsterdam in a hotel in the center of the city.

The option with Paris includes 3 nights in Paris and 2 nights in Amsterdam but hotels are situated 15min metro ride away from city center.

That means if we choose first option we would be able to walk and discover Ams freely without having to think about time and when to go back not to be late for last metro ride (since we like staying out late). If we choose second option we obviously could not stay out as long.

How hard is it to navigate metro in those two cities and how safe?

I also read about Noctilien bus in Paris, how difficult is it to navigate and how safe is it?

Is 2 days in Amsterdam too short?

Do you think that it would be better to choose the first option and go only to Amsterdam or take the second option?

Thank you in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Doncaster, United...
reviews: 5
1. Re: New Year's 2014

Forget Paris its overhyped and expensive and the french can be rude ( i dont think they mean it its just there nature ) AMsterdam is much nicer more laid back and much more picturesque in certain areas and the dutch are friendly... 3 days is probably about right to explore amsterdam properly the transport is provided by trams which are very regular and reasonably priced but if you dont have any mobility issues then the best way to see amsterdam is on foot or by bike as the city is compact....

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
2. Re: New Year's 2014

Amsterdam w/o question. And yes, I believe 2 days in Amsterdam is too short.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
3. Re: New Year's 2014

Hmmm, much as I love my home town Amsterdam, I say go for the Paris + Amsterdam option.

The main reason is because I think New Year's Eve will be more fun in Paris. In Amsterdam it's just one big chaos of drunk people lighting their own fire crackers and fireworks, all over the place (pretty dangerous between midnight and 1am). Of course there are street parties too but it may be cold or rainy. Indoor parties tend to only allow people who bought expensive tickets in advance. Read more about NYE in Amsterdam here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c147675/Amste…

Why not take the chance to visit *two* wonderful cities? And then come back to Amsterdam some day for more! :-)

True, the French in general have a rude manner. But I must say, it was worse in the past... It's not all that bad nowadays, depending on your own attitude. Paris has a lot to offer.

Metros in Paris are super easy and safe (apart from pickpockets). I don't know about the night buses but taxis aren't all that expensive.

In Amsterdam the public transport is also easy to use and dense. The night buses are fine. Taxis in Amsterdam are quite expensive but after a long night out it can be worth the hassle-free trip.

Read about safety in Amsterdam: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188553-c198229/The-N…

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 4:30 pm, September 19, 2013
4. Re: New Year's 2014

Thank you for your answers, we have to decide in the next week, it won't be easy. Although, at the moment, I think it will be Amsterdam only because the hotel is in the city center and we will be able to go almost anywhere on foot :)

Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: New Year's 2014

You may enjoy knowing that people do a New Year's Dive from many of the Dutch beaches on the 1st of January, typically at noon but some of the Dives are at other times. People running into the freezing cold North Sea for a short dip. The Dive at Scheveningen beach is the biggest one, quite commercialized though. Many people there dress up in funny outfits. You will see that one on the news in the evening or you can find pictures on the internet ('nieuwjaarsduik').

There may even be a Dive off Blijburg city beach in Amsterdam.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
6. Re: New Year's 2014

Paris is gorgeous and I would never advise someone not to go there. But the way you have laid things out I just don't think you would have as much fun if you tried to do both cities on this trip.

PS - Cecile usually has GREAT suggestions but I can think of a lot of better ways to get over a hangover than a dip in the North Sea in the middle of winter.

Edited: 11:24 pm, September 20, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: New Year's 2014

LOL, my suggestion was to maybe go have a look, or at least see it on the evening news.

In Castricum they did a Dive at about 4pm last year so by that time you can be sort of awake after the partying.

But hey, who knows they may be willing to 'go local' and join in?

I did it once - and never again - for my birthday :-) Five friends were going to join me but most chickened out and only one really did. It was even snowing that day. Man, after a few seconds in the water you don't feel your legs anymore... For that one time it was fun though. I just love when the down-to-earth Dutchies act silly for a change.

8. Re: New Year's 2014

Cecile the dive in the freezing water sounds really fun to do once but I don't think I will do it this time, even though I would like to. :)

Reply to: New Year's 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted