We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal cruises - Prices

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, England
reviews: 9
Canal cruises - Prices

Hi All. Is it cheaper to purchase a canal tour online or on arrival? Are you able to barter the price down? Also I am looking at Viator tours would you say they are the most popular tour company?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
1. Re: Canal cruises - Prices

Hi there,

1] No discounts as far as we're aware, for the normal 1 hour tours that is.

2] Bartering is not in the culture here esp. for smaller amounts.

3] Most popular pricewise are Plas (Damrak) and Kooij (Rokin), both below 10 euro. For about the same tour you pay 12-13 euro at other companies...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 55
2. Re: Canal cruises - Prices

I second Erik's good advice. The one Viator is selling is about 14-15 euro, so it's best just to buy them in Amsterdam. I took the one that starts on Damrak and it was a lovely tour.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 70
3. Re: Canal cruises - Prices

Plas on Damrak charged 9 euros per person when I went earlier this year, the standard one hour daytime tour. Their explanations over the speakers in several languages are quite dated: exactly the same as 14 years ago when I worked there. :-) This means they won't explain the funky modern building EYE when you pass it, for example. Or you may be lucky and have a captain who adds his own stuff through the microphone.

I don't know if other companies ever update their tapes.

You may also want to consider an evening tour. The city looks like a fairytale after dark.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Bristol, England
reviews: 9
4. Re: Canal cruises - Prices

Brilliant, thank you all for your help :)

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
5. Re: Canal cruises - Prices

We've used Viator quite a bit for various tours. They are a reliable company and we've never had an issue.

As far as your canal cruise is concerned, if you're taking the standard day or evening cruise, I'd just book that upon arrival. If you're looking at some of the specialty cruises (IE: Dinner cruise, Jazz cruise, etc.) I might consider prebooking those. Most of the dinner cruises will need to know your meal selection in advance and some of the specialty cruises operate on a limited schedule and fill up fast.

Los Angeles
reviews: 12
6. Re: Canal cruises - Prices

Where would I go to book this cruise w the more affordable lines,?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
7. Re: Canal cruises - Prices

Damrak and Rokin jetties, as mentioned above. For Damrak you need the one furthest from the station, that's Plas Rederij.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
8. Re: Canal cruises - Prices

if you walk down damrak..about halfway to dam square on your left is that jettie..if you keep walking damrak turns into rokin..head toward munt tower..the rokin jetties are down there.

9. Re: Canal cruises - Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 26, 2014