We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

Seriously, and the one below with affiliate ads is ok? I'll follow your blog on my own Ben.

17 replies to this topic
Winter Haven...
1. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

Blog link?

2. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:57 am, September 19, 2013

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 42
3. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

Join the club Ben... Many posts of mine got deleted before I knew about TA's weird rules.

And I got criticized for being annoyed about it. People told me to get over it or go away.

4. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:57 am, September 19, 2013

Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

I share your frustration Ben. When people ask about tips for things to do in Amsterdam and I link to my web page full of exactly that: things to do in Amsterdam... TA sees that as 'self-promotion'. ???! I am just trying to help visitors have a good time and find some hidden gems!?

Probably the same reason they deleted your post...

The weird thing is it *is* allowed to link to www.spottedbylocals.com which has the same type of tips as my website only their site is bigger, and: commercial.

At the same time TA send me these ridiculous emails saying 'Did we tell tou how much we appreciate your contributions? Well a lot!' Yeah because they can make tonnes of money on it.

Oh well I decided to just stick to their crazy rules because I still enjoy helping visitors have a better time in my beloved Amsterdam.

Edited: 9:28 pm, September 17, 2013
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
6. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

I didn't delete it I was amazed it was deleted. Like I said in the one deleted, I love your posts.

Sorry for being cryptic.

Edited: 2:49 am, September 18, 2013
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
7. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

Ben, none of the DEs here have the ability (or usually wish) to delete any posts. There is some kind of TA policing system which kicks in.

As we have previously advised Cecile. That is the way it is, live with it or move elsewhere. There is nothing we can do to change things.

Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

And just to help you understand what TA does allow, Ben:

- it is allowed to link to content that is not your own (such as spottedbylocals, booking.com, other people's blogs etc)

- it is allowed to link to blogs that are also run by sisters of TA, for example Pijlmans does that for his tips about things to do in Amsterdam with kids. See this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k43600…

- it is allowed to post a link to your blog or site 'as a signature' below your post but *not* allowed to say anything about it in the post (like: "see/follow the link in my signature" is not allowed)

- it is not allowed to make a second TA account and link to Ben's blog as if you are a different person ;-)

Don't ask me why....

Edited: 4:37 am, September 18, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

To clarify: it is only allowed to specifically link to your own blog *and* say something about that, in case that blog is on Virtualtourist (where Pijlmans' page is hosted for example). And maybe TripAdvisor has other sister sites that I don't know of.

Edited: 4:40 am, September 18, 2013
Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 69
10. Re: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?

I'm nervous that I might upset everyone with this post, but here goes ..

The current forum posting guidelines are summarised here: www.tripadvisor.com/help/postingandediting

The detail of the restrictions on selling and promoting services is explained here: tripadvisor.com/help/Can_I_sell_or_promote_s…

I don't read anything there about exceptions for content hosted on TA sister sites. In my view the thread which Cecile references (with a link by Pijlmans to his own Virtual Tourist content) is also self-promotion and might have been zapped, if this had been noticed.

I don't know precisely how the zapping works, but it is not done by armies of faceless TA moderators nor is there some mysterious algorithm which none of us has a hand in. It is driven by us. My guess is that two zaps (or perhaps two zaps by DEs) immediately removes a post without any other human intervention.

I've seen various events which are consistent with this hypothesis, including the following. The only DE on the Mozambique forum was trying to remove a piece of pure spam, but couldn't get rid of it on his own. (I know this because I had sent him a private message asking why he hadn't removed it.) The moment I also zapped it, it was gone. Not a good randomised trial, I grant you, but evidence that two zaps does the trick.

Frankly I don't believe that we as active members of this forum do not zap posts which break the rules. We just don't like to admit it most of the time. So let me break that taboo.

I was one of the people who zapped Ben's post. I have no idea who the others were. I like Ben's blog and I recommend you check it out at http://gobyx.blogspot.nl/ but a post from Ben which says "What did you do on Monument Day? I went biking check out my blog <link>" breaks the rules.

I probably can't do anything about the rules, so I just live by them. Cecile (screaming and kicking) now also lives by the rules. I'd like the rules to apply to Ben too.

Edited: 5:33 am, September 18, 2013
Reply to: Monument day 14-15 September - Where did you go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted