We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh
reviews: 126
Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

Hi, we arrive on Thursday for three nights at the Carlton (at a good price thanks to the info on this forum!). Not likely to arrive before about 10.00/ 10.30pm, would be nice to go out for a bite and a drink, but not far. Could anyone suggest which direction we should go to find somewhere we might get a light meal and a bottle of wine? Have been in the position of heading off in entirely the wrong direction before in other cities, would prefer to ask instead..... thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
1. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

Most kitchens of restaurants close at about 10 or 11pm...

Around Rembrandtplein you will find lots of snackbars and Maoz has falafel. Can't think of a more upscale place that might still serve food at that hour.

You may want to get a meal at the airport before arriving.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
2. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

You have Cafe de Jaren that is quite nearby (270 meters - http://goo.gl/maps/JSCUI ). Their kitchen also closes at 22.30 but they have snacks till closing which is 01.00 on Thursdays. Its a very nice, modern grand cafe with complete bar, including wine by the bottle ;). Draws a broad crowd but tends to 'younger' (25 - 40) in the evening. Although snacks isn't dinner they have things like taco chips & guacamole, tapenade & bread, humus & bread, small meatballs & sauce. Maybe an alternative.

On Rembrandtplein (300 meters) you have a nice cafe lounge called Escape, open to 01.00, and their snack menu may also be available (not sure and couldn't find an answer on their website) with a bit more snack selection than De Jaren. Near there is a place called Wok to Walk (kind of take out counter with some seats inside) with Asian food open till 02.00 plus of course the things Cecile mentioned. And across from the hotel is McDonalds, open till 02.45. And now they have printable coupons good till the end of the month with lots of 2 for 1 deals :)... mcdonalds.nl/sites/default/files/mcdonalds_v…

Edited: 6:16 pm, September 15, 2013
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

<somewhere we might get a light meal and a bottle of wine>

You're my HERO!

Amsterdam
reviews: 69
4. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

Your hotel is at the northern end of the ugliest street in central Amsterdam, so walk any direction but south!

Mr Other

http://mrothers.blogspot.nl/

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 72
5. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

Kitchen closes at 22:30 but maybe try Senses http://www.sensesrestaurant.nl/en/route.html

I had a nice indian meal in Memories of India last week and they open until 23:30

www.memoriesofindia.nl/index.php…

Lots of restaurants along the Regulierswaardstraat open late. I doubt you will go hungry.

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

<Lots of restaurants along the Regulierswaardstraat open late.>

If you mean ReguliersDWARSstraat, that is a street full of (straight-friendly) gay bars and clubs, I don't remember seeing restaurants there but I may be mistaken. Some of the bars may offer snacks.

ReguliersBREEstraat has a number of restaurants and snackbars, just like some other streets around Rembrandtplein.

edinburgh
reviews: 126
7. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

Many thanks to everyone for helpful suggestions, will study my map and carefully avoid going south!

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
8. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

FOR THE OP: Bar Dvars (bar, lounge and food) on the aforementioned Reguliersdwarsstraat (100 meters around the corner from your hotel) serves food till midnight on Thursdays and is a very nice loungy bar with cocktails and of course all what you would expect to drink in a nice loungy bar - http://www.dvars.nl/food/

AND FOR CECILE: Reguliersdwarsstraat where there are now about three or four remaining stright-friendly gay bars (one dance venue in there) is full of restaurants, some of which are very good: La Margerita delicious Caribbean; Santurnino - excellent Italian and great fish and steaks; Genki - €25 all-you-can-eat formula but very good; plus a couple expensive and high end Chinese, 2 steakhouses, and I have probably forgotten a couple of the smaller restaurants on the right hand side when walking from the NH Carleton towards Koningsplein. :)

Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

Well if you go south far enough you will end up in De Pijp which is a great area and which has the Albert Cuyp market and many bars and restaurants. But for your first night it's probably easier to stay closer to your hotel.

And instead of using the (indeed quite ugly) Vijzelstraat to go south you could use Reguliersgracht instead which is much nicer and which also has the 'Bridge of 15 bridges'. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d2… > a good spot to go after dark when all the little lights are on!

@ Lenny thanks I never noticed those!

Edited: 11:10 am, September 16, 2013
10. Re: Bistro/bar near nh Carlton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 18, 2014