We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
reviews: 2
Xmas in Amsterdam

Myself, partner and 11yo have decided to spend Xmas in Amsterdam 24th to 27th Dec. Can anyone recommend good but not too expensive restaurants to have Xmas Eve dinner and Xmas Day lunch in please. Would be nice to do local traditional meals but generally looking for somewhere that will be celebrating and we can join in. Also anything special going on during this period. Many thanks

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 70
1. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

This might help you find things to do:

December: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…december

Families and children (for example nice museums and activities for kids): iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…families-and-children

There might be a few tiny iceskating rinks on Leidseplein and Museumplein. And you could go to the 400 meter iceskating rink called Jaap Edenbaan, rent skates and join in with the locals, and have typically Dutch drinks and soups afterwards at one of the nice cafes there. www.jaapeden.nl

Sorry can't help on the restaurant question... although my friends and I have the weird 'tradition' of eating Surinamese roti on Christmas eve, preferably in one of those tacky plastic places which have amazing food for a low price... but that might not be your idea of a X-mas eve meal :-)

It's probably a good idea to start looking for places that are open and take reservations.

Also note that the Netherlands have two Christmas Days: the 25th and the 26th. Although more and more hops now open on the 26th. Some museums are open even during those Christmas days but you need to check each museum's website.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 12:03 pm, September 15, 2013
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 43
2. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

If you put the words "Christmas lunch" into the forum search box below you'll find many threads, including one now legendary one, where this has been discussed and suggestions given.

3. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:50 pm, January 02, 2015
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

Mr O this is the legendary one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k23747…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
5. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

I wonder if Carlitas realises what legendary status she has on this forum?

6. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:19 am, January 01, 2015
Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

LOL Brian, hilarious thread!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
8. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

I stayed away from posting on it at the time as I knew I'd just get annoyed.

Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

I thought that one poster was going to be right who had visions of the OP refusing the table she was offered, demanding other lighting and temperature, sending food back etc... it was surprising how happy she was with the place she eventually went to!

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
10. Re: Xmas in Amsterdam

i suggest , instead of doing the hotel,, rent an apartment , that way you can cook a xmas dinner , and save a ton of money, you never know this could become a tradition :)

peae matty

www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty