We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Car rental in Amsterdam

Hi, We are planning to drive from Amsterdam to Belgium for 5 days in October and we need at least a 7-seater car as we are a group of 6 adults. We are used to driving auto cars but the car rental agencies in Amsterdam seem to have only 7-seater manual cars. I wonder if anyone can advise where we can rent an auto 7-seater car from ? Thank you

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
11. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

I just shuddered at the thought of driving a Nissan Armada anywhere near Amsterdam or Belgium.

Oz
reviews: 19
12. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

it is the sixt.nl web site where the information was acquired. Too big for me (that car size)....a simple phone call to their office will answer the question, however.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
13. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

I have rented a 10 passenger van from Sixt twice (Florence and Marseille) which have plenty of room for seven passengers and luggage - the only problem is they are manual.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
14. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

>>Toyota Sienna, Dodge Grand Caravan, Chrysler Town&Country

Ford Expedition, Chevrolet Tahoe, Nissan Armada<<

I doubt you can even buy those most of those vehicles here in NL except on special import and their site ( http://www.sixt.nl/voertuigoverzicht/ ) does not list them. Sorry to keep harking on but when you are wrong you are wrong. Getting vehicles with automatic gearboxes is not easy here most are handmatig.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
15. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

Ron is right on this one. Are you going to the box indicating availability in The Netherlands?

I have a Sixt Express Card and I would not be able to get those cars in Amsterdam.

Edited: 5:44 pm, September 16, 2013
Delft
reviews: 32
16. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

You'll have to pick it up at Schiphol, but the best value-for-money car rental we've found is from www.eautohuur.nl aka www.rentalcars.com ... it's one of those brokers where you don't know who you're renting from until you've paid, but we consistently save 30-70% on the direct prices from them (especially once you factor in insurance and other extras).

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
17. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

The only problem is neither of the sites you posted have a vehicle big enough for the OP with an automatic transmission.

18. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:51 am, December 31, 2014
Edited: 9:51 am, December 31, 2014
Oz
reviews: 19
19. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

I erred. My original posting of vehicles was in error. I do see that it was a listing of the USA fleet of cars. My bad.

However, the http://www.sixt.nl fleet does list a couple of vans for 7 or 9 people, reducing the luggage ability to one piece of luggage http://www.sixt.nl/voertuigoverzicht/ (manual transmissions, too....)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 61
20. Re: Car rental in Amsterdam

<Can't understand why people want manuals (I always hire automatic myself if it's available). What is it with Europeans and automatics? Do we like making life difficult for ourselves or something?>

For a long time, automatics had the image of 'cars for losers or senior citizens' over here. People who kept failing their driving exam, switched to automatic to see if they could finally learn how to drive then.

Another reason is that people think that they can accellerate faster and drive more agressively with manual gears. It's a macho thing.

Apart from that loser image, automatic cars are also much, much more expensive here, although that is improving.

Personally I love automatics and would prefer to have one if it weren't so much more expensive than my manual one. Although I must say I LOVED the stick shift coming from the dashboard in my former Citroën Acadiane (sort of 2CV). thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/200…

When renting a car I also prefer to get an automatic, and more and more Dutch people also do, nowadays. Especially on roundabouts and in cities with lots of turns to be made it's ideal. The image of the 'cars for losers' is slowly fading.