We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water bus

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Utah
Water bus

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can provide info on the Water Bus. To get from Central Station to Brouwerij 't IJ on Funenkade, would water bus make sense? Cost for 1-way? A quick ride? Would Tram be better, #9 right? Also, one more question. Is dinner at Waag recommended? Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 52
1. Re: Water bus

Do you mean the Hop On Hop Off canal boat? Read the reviews in Tripadvisor. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d1…

There is a stop not all that far, but not very close either. It's more expensive than trams / buses and from what I understand they go less frequently. I think if you want a boat experience a one hour round trip tour with explanations would be nicer, but who knows you may enjoy that Hop On Hop Off boat.

Depending on where you're travelling from, you can take tram 10 or 14, or bus 22 to get to Brouwerij 't IJ. More details here. http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/who-where/

And use www.9292.nl/en for your door to door public transport planning; it even shows you maps of the bits you need to walk to/from tram or bus stops.

Or if the weather is nice you can walk via Entrepotdok which is a beautiful street full of warehouses-turned-homes with wooden shutters and beams on the ceilings.

I'll let these 157 people tell you whether or not you should eat in De Waag: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d6…

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Utah
2. Re: Water bus

Hi Cecile, the map I have shows a few routes that say water bus, and one of the stops appeared to be close to the bar. If it's the hop on /off boat, not so interested in that, don't want to pay that fee. i was thinking it may be a 1way ride bus. I do have a regular blue boat tour booked. I will probably just walk it, doesn't seem to far. The Waag looks good, if not for the food, for the history of the place. Thanks again.

Amsterdam
reviews: 69
3. Re: Water bus

Anything called a "canal bus" or a "water taxi" here is a sightseeing service designed (and priced) for tourists.

The only water borne public transport within the city are the ferries over the IJ. There's a map of their routes here: http://goo.gl/bFvC3w These services are designed and priced for locals: they are free. (At least they are free at point of use, paid for through our taxes). They can be a great way to get a view of the city from the water, but they won't take you to Brouwerij 't IJ.

Mr Other

http://mrothers.blogspot.nl/

Edited: 4:10 am, September 15, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
4. Re: Water bus

You can book a water taxi but it will probably cost you about 35 euros. Take bus 22 which passes by the Brouwerij t'Ij

Utah
5. Re: Water bus

If not a downpour, probably will walk. Otherwise, bus 22 it is! Thanks for the info.

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: Water bus

On your walk you could pop into the main entrance of Scheepvaartmuseum (Maritime museum) and have a look at the amazing glass ceiling. That part is still free. You can also have a look at the outside of the replica of an old trade ship, in the water by the museum. The museum is also well worth a visit but I don't know if you want to do that. You can also buy a ticket to go into the replica ship.

And like I said Entrepotdok is a beautiful street to incorporate in your walk, but combining it with Scheepvaartmuseum would be a tiny bit of a detour (add about 5 minutes). You could go via one route and come back via the other.

It's a 30 minute walk http://goo.gl/maps/SvSBX or a ~10 minute bus ride.

Edited: 7:58 am, September 15, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
7. Re: Water bus

Good idea, work up a thirst.

Utah
8. Re: Water bus

More good suggestions. I'm taking good notes because I can already tell Amsterdam trip #2 will be a given. My first week in Amsterdam is not going to be nearly enough time to see all. Cheers.

Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: Water bus

P.S. The free ferries MrOther is talking about are indeed fun to take as well and can take you to nice places such as Pllek or Noorderlicht bohemian cafes (NDSM ferry), EYE Film institute / museum / cinema / cafe / funky modern building, which also has great views over the IJ water and Amsterdam (Buiksloterweg ferry) or Wilheminadok cafe (IJplein ferry). You can take all those three ferries from the north side of Central Station, but there are a few other routes too.

Reply to: Water bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted