We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas markets

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
reviews: 20
Xmas markets

I understand xmas markets seem to be fairly low key in Amsterdam, but we would still like to kill 2 birds. we are planning 5th Dec for a visit, so would we catch them or is that too early. thank you

10 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
1. Re: Xmas markets

The 5th is Sinterklaus which is a big family day in NL where presents are given to children

Honestly there are not that many Christmas markets in Amsterdam and if there is then they will likely be at the weekend, sometimes at the Westerpark. Sometimes there are stalls on the Leidseplein or Rembrantplein or Dam Sq. but I really think you might be disappointed if you are looking for German style markets here.

United Kingdom
2. Re: Xmas markets

Thank you very much, it was beginning to look like that. I also see no reference to a hop on hop off city tour, and most of the sites are within the canal area, where most people will probably walk.. we have some walking difficulties now. We were combining the city visit with the xmas market idea, but I am now thinking it may be better to put it off till next summer, when we may have the weather to meander at a slower pace. Thank you again

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
3. Re: Xmas markets

There is a http://www.citysightseeingamsterdam.nl/ HOHO bus but I never recommend it as it can't really go near the canal belt. Maybe the HOHO canal boat would suit you

https://www.canal.nl/en/canal-bus

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
4. Re: Xmas markets

Quite appropriate to discuss the "HOHO" on a Christmas thread.. too bad its not called the "HOHOHO" which seems to be how Santa says it... :)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
5. Re: Xmas markets

ha ha ha LOL Lenny!! ;-)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
6. Re: Xmas markets

Ha ha good one Lenny! But then the driver would never get to go home if everyone kept hopping ON again.

I'm doubtful whether the HOHO boat would be convenient for someone with walking difficulties. In some cases it stops right at a sight (Anne Frank House) but in some cases it stops quite far (Tropenmuseum, Dappermarkt) and you need to walk quite a bit to the sight you might want to visit.

I think trams and buses would come in handier: they go more frequently, you can choose one that stops close to where you want to go, and it's lots cheaper. Or occasionally splurge on a taxi after a long day.

A canal boat tour is fun but I'd suggest a one hour standard tour with explanations, or an evening cruise. Without HOHO or HOHOHO.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

United Kingdom
7. Re: Xmas markets

Thank you very much, your help has been invaluable. We shall forget about the xmas market bit and go next summer when we will probably see Amsterdam in a better setting. We are not completely immobile, just getting on a bit and they gave me the knee from hell, and had to do it again. The second is a big improvement from the first, but we are not quite as nimble on the feet as we used to be. once again thank you for your help

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
8. Re: Xmas markets

Tahe a highspeed train to Düsseldorf, they have great Christmas markets.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
9. Re: Xmas markets

Probably best to come in summer in that case.

Whenever I have sports injuries on a knee or anckle, walking is difficult but cycling is still very doable. Perhaps it is an option for you to get around like the locals do: by bike. It's much less tiring, although traffic can be overwhelming for a newby to Amsterdam... but you can always just take it slowly.

Or use trams and buses and the occasional taxi.

As for walking, our streets can be quite uneven in places, especially in the old center. Sturdy shoes won't be an unneccesary luxury. There are plenty of nice cafes all over the city to take well-earned breaks. :-)

So are you going to see Christmas markets in Germany?

United Kingdom
10. Re: Xmas markets

Haven't decided about the xmas markets yet, thanks for the advice

Reply to: Xmas markets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted