We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car trip from Brussels

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, VA
reviews: 21
car trip from Brussels

We are thinking about renting a car from Brussels to Amsterdam rather than train. Is that good or bad idea? How long is the car drive?

7 replies to this topic
Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
1. Re: car trip from Brussels

It's a good idea if you like driving from a congested city into a non-car friendly and congested city, and can afford the very significant drop-off fee for leaving the car in another country than the one where you picked it up. I would not do it: train transportation is easy, efficient, reliable. From downtown to downtown, no headache, no strenuous search for the elusive parking spot, no parking fee, no parking fine, no nerve racking attempt to NOT hit any of the gazillion cyclists there are in Amsterdam or pedestrians or trams or any combination of the 3. And since the scenery between the 2 cities is almost non-existent, you are not missing anything if you travel by train.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: car trip from Brussels

Take the train.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
3. Re: car trip from Brussels

I completely agree with Eirelover.

London
reviews: 34
4. Re: car trip from Brussels

Totally bad idea. If you don't like the train fares, take a Eurolines or Megabus coach.

Edited: 6:55 am, September 14, 2013
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
5. Re: car trip from Brussels

I think you should rent a car. :-))

Amsterdam
reviews: 69
6. Re: car trip from Brussels

I'd say it depends how many there are of you. The cheap tickets on the train are difficult to get. You have to book early to get them, but then everyone else knows that too and others will be up at midnight (or whatever it takes) to score the very small number of cheap tickets. A small car for a day, even with a one-way drop off fee, might soon be significantly cheaper if there are, say, more than two of you. You need to do the arithmetic.

Once you are here though, YOU DO NO WANT TO HAVE A CAR. Drive to your hotel, drop the bags, get rid of the car and walk or take public transport from there on.

MrOther

http://mrothers.blogspot.nl/

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: car trip from Brussels

parking the car in the centre cost 5 euro per hour. The train is convenient and Amsterdam is easy to explore by foot and/or tram.

Reply to: car trip from Brussels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted