We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oz
reviews: 19
Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

In an earlier question, Matty223 posted a link www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty of her pics which are great. However, I was floored by the prices on the coffee shop menus.

As a 45+ year hippie who is making one last hurrah trip back to Amsterdam before I simply can't do the flights anymore, I really hope there are some local joints that don't hate on pricing. I am greatly amused at the marketing, silly names; pictures, etc. because as any good head knows....it don't matter what it looks like; what it smells like; or what it tastes like......it matters what it does to your head. I've had the best and the worst.

All I want is a Grade B product that I can afford on my fixed income. €14 for 1 crummy gram? Any suggestions as to local places where there aren't many if any tourists where an old guy can get his $12.00 lid? (I know those are gone....but something affordable to a fixed income person??). Thanks.

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
1. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

thanks but im a he not a her lol,, there are cheaper places,

have a look at ths site

coffeeshopmenus.org/0-WhosInTown-/WhosInTown…

Peace Matty

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
2. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

$12 dollar lid..those were the days!!..mexican crap with more sticks and seeds then weed!!

Edited: 2:02 pm, September 05, 2013
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

Don't be so quick to condemn the pricing. Believe me, a little goes a long way.

Trying to read between the lines as to whether or not you smoked in Amsterdam before and think you probably have. Just get with the budtender at your shop of choice and ask him (her) to help you out. Its amazing to me how much further dope goes these days compared to the stuff Steve describes.

I personally would rather pay my money for what you get today than I used to pay for pot back then. That said, it won't hurt to shop Matty's lnik.

Oz
4. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

Sorry about that Matty......I don't see the system to "edit" my post to be gender correct. Steveftw......ours were not full of sticks or stems or seeds....the real deal with real names.....Panama Red, Acapulco Gold, etc. 3finger weight. Yes, growing techniques have advanced, but I like to hold onto a fattie and let her burn....not worrying about €€$$ going up In smoke....the whole idea is to relax....and taking commando hits out of bongs ain't this OG's way. I just like a fattie. I have an menu from the old CHOCOLATA and gee whiz.....it ain't inflation we're referring to here. 2.5g of Afghaan hash for $12.50 (ƒ25).

Again, I'm an old guy on a very fixed income that has to make every cent stretch. I can adapt....but €14 for 1g or herb? Not going to happen.

Thanks for the web site....I'll take a look and poke about....

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
5. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

Siberie on Brouwersgracht has good prices for the center. €9 per gram-ish.

Oz
6. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

yeah, ddavis1950 ,....partook in many aplace, my favorite being Grey Area an t' Smosie: The budtenders and locals were always shocked to see me roll a rocky road (herb and hash); smoke it down and go for another. They were used to seeing lightweights from the USA I expect fall down. It's a cultural thing with us old hippies......

Edited: 3:16 pm, September 05, 2013
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
7. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

Never heard of 't Smosie.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
8. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

Check this out, brother. Dutch weed is now on average 250% more potent than 25-30 years ago with some varieties even more potent. So you may not find a $12 but one can still get a great buzz for the buck with Nederwiet.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nederwiet

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
9. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

It's not price gouging. It's 2013.

If you want a deal as I always do look for multi gram deals. There are a lot of them in many of the different shops.

The most famous one may be the Noon s 4 grams of blueberry for 23 euros. It's normally quite decent blueberry.

But there are plenty more shops that offer. From 2-5 grams is the range.

If you are in any of the Dampkering ask them about their salad bowls. A mixed bowl of left over sativa and one for the indica.

About 6-7 euros a gram as I remember. Unmixed it's the normal expensive Dampkering product at the normal expensive prices.

There are deals and bargains to be had.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
10. Re: Coffee Shop Prices (gouging)

And, if you do make it, and I hope you do, prvt msg me and I'll be glad to hook you up with some. Great to hang once more with an old American hippie and share the blessings.