We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can it be done- need local advice

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, Missouri
reviews: 27
Can it be done- need local advice

So I have a four hour layover, been to the city many times (in love, totaly and completely) Im on a shortish layover on my way home and on a mission to have three items before arriving back to the airport in time to get to my gate by 10am... my mission;

Shipol to Central Coffee shop to Vincent Kaas en Vlees for lots of cheese to take home and then to the Metropolitan Chocolate Shop, they dont open until 9:00 am... =) grab a bunch o chocolate for everyone back home and back to the airport... whattya think, can I make it? I figure train to the city and taxi back to the airport....??? in leu of the fabulous chocolate at the Metropolitan, I can depart for the airport from Vincent's but if I do that I will need a chocolate recomendation, I must no show up at home with no chocolate. =) Thanks for any encouragement or shots of realism. best regards!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
1. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

chocolate shop opens at 9am and you have to be at gate at 10am? they have all 3 things you want at the airport.

Columbia, Missouri
2. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

...yeah but I wont sit at the airprot for four hours..I think I'll have to settle for the chocolate from the airport but Im going for the goda at Vincent's, we both know it's way better than the stuff at the airport. =) but yeah...I think after I get my cheese I'd best be headed for shipol...sad cuz as with the cheese the chocolate at the airport is not the same. thanks for you input. =)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
3. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

Hmm Steve I don't think they sell weed at the airport just yet :-)

So are you gonna have a joint then get some cheese and chocolate. Won't the munchies take over and those items won't survive LOL?

If you don't have to be at your gate until 1000 (where are you flying to?) then theoretically it is possible that if you are waiting outside the chocolate shop at 0900 and grab some goodies then get back to the station by 0915 then I would say you still have a good chance to get to the airport but if you are flying to the US then you will only have to clear passport control. To a Schengen destination you will need to get through security which can take longer.

Maybe you can e-mail the Metropolitan to see if they can let you in a few minutes early since you are so desperate to buy lots of chocolate. You never know.

I doubt that a taxi would be any quicker at that time of the morning. Take the train back.

Columbia, Missouri
4. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

I laughed at your remark about the weed...lol...It is not a must as I am completely in love with the city for all reasons other than the weed however it is very nice to partake without fear of jail however and I always enjoy.

I know I could probably get the cheese and chocolate at the airport or at least versions that would sufice...but with four hours I really must dash in to say hello to my favorite city in the world not to mention we all know the cheese and chocolate at the airport are not the same as getting it from the shops in Niewmarkt !!

Central Coffee shop opens at 0700 and Vincents at 0830 and I have been in contact with Metropolitan and while they did not offer to open early I think they might if Im there munching on my cheese smokin a joint. ; ) lol They were very nice and said that they would hail a cab for me but Im leaning toward your view that taking the train may in the long run be quicker that time of morning. It is a weekday...I am flying to the US so as long as the passport line is not to long I could make it...cutting it way closser than I like though.

Can you believe I also have an offer from a very nice lady to meet me at Vincents with the chocolate...if the day and time work for her I may just do that....I just love the Netherlands, no false niceties but people are so genuinly nice. I wish I could move there.

I enjoyed your reply and appreciate you taking time to send it. Thank you and wish me luck. =)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
5. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

Since when do you not have to go thru a slow and time consuming security check when going landside to airside for a flight to the USA? Since my route of favor back home goes thru Dublin for the last 2 years, I haven't flown direct to the States from Amsterdam in quite a while.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
6. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

Hi Lenny. For Non Schengen flights security checks are done at the gate.

Columbia, Missouri
7. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

I am flying from another city into Amsterdam I have a layover and then to St. Lous. I do this trip at least once a year...the last time, last year and all the times before, I come back to the airport after a few hours in town...show my boarding pass, then go through passport control and on to my gate. I sure hope it's not changed....

Columbia, Missouri
8. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

I hope so.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
9. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

Nope, no change.

10. Re: Can it be done- need local advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 07, 2014