We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sugar Land Texas USA
reviews: 1
Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

Planning June/July 2014 about 4-week vacation. On 8 July we return (ship) to Amsterdam and will be with luggage probably by 9am. Plan to take train from Amsterdam Centraal to Schiphol and leave our luggage at our hotel for the night of 8 July (best choices?) as we will leave 10am the following morning. Would like to spend the remainder of that day at a non-Amsterdam location easily reached by rail (so easy walk to sights from whatever train station, also with simple return) -- I would guess within an hour's ride. What would be our best options? Much thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 70
1. Re: Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

I've read your post 3 times and still don't quite get the luggage story. But it seems you are looking for a nice city to visit other than Amsterdam, within an hour's train ride from Amsterdam? (Or from Schiphol?? I don't fully understand your questions... Or are they a psychological test, PIC2Psychologist?)

There are many options. Utrecht, Amersfoort, Leiden, Delft, Haarlem... My favourites out of those are Haarlem and Utrecht.

Edited: 6:15 pm, September 02, 2013
Winter Haven...
2. Re: Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

He is arriving at the port and will be taking his luggage to the airport area to be convenient for his flight the next day. As he will be near the airport he wants to take a train directly from there to another town (other than Amsterdam).

Amsterdam, The...
3. Re: Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

Okay after reading it a 4th and 5th time I think I gathered: you arrive by boat from somewhere to Amsterdam, and you have a hotel at Schiphol airport. And you seem to have been in Amsterdam before. And you want to drop the luggage off in the hotel in Schiphol and then visit a town which you seem to have a full day + evening for.

Anyway, my recommendations remain unchanged if that is what you meant. Sorry it might be the time of day and my brain is half asleep. ;-)

Check www.9292.nl/en for total travel times, schedules and cost.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

if you dont want to stay in amsterdam for the night..and want to stay at the airport then i would do haarlem or leiden..both easily accessible by bus from airport.

The Hague, The...
reviews: 110
5. Re: Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

All depends on your interests. If you like art, The Hague could be great as the Mauritshuis ( www.mauritshuis.nl ) might be open again by then. This is planned for June/july 2014. Currently the highlights of it's collection are in Atlanta, later in the Frick in New York and then Bologna, Italy.

The Hague has more of course ( www.madurodam.nl ).

Leiden is interesting, and Delft or Haarlem indeed.

Sugar Land Texas USA
6. Re: Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

Thanks for the ideas. Let me try again to be quite clear. My plan is to drop luggage off at a Schiphol hotel Tuesday morning (I assume, for example, if I stay that night at the hotel attached to the airport that they would store our luggage for the day?) having then the afternoon/early evening for a last experience, would then like to take advantage of the train and visit a non-Amsterdam location (yes, we have been to Amsterdam several times and love it, but spent a week there two years ago -- as part of this trip will visit Belgium for the first time and will post on Belgium forum. I would like the location to be easily and frequently reached by rail (going and return to Schiphol) with the 4-6 hour visit convenient walking from its train station. Will take the 2-4 options and read up to make a decision. Yes, we love art and the history that goes with established European cities. Much thanks! (Not a psychological test, just my current interest in planning our vacations!)

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

I know psychology is not the same as psychiatry but you may still be interested in the museum of psychiatry in Haarlem called 'Het Dolhuys'. http://www.hetdolhuys.nl/english-info

I thought it was very interesting and well put-together. It also tells you a lot about the history of psychiatry and how many things were formerly treated as diseases (such as homosexuality and 'hysteria') and shows you chairs with built-in toilets that some patients were tied to, and you can do some simplified tests to see what illness you have. :-)

And as mentioned before Haarlem is very pretty and easy on the first-time visitor.

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 18
8. Re: Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

Utrecht. Direct train from schiphol will take you there in 25 minutes. Other options are for instance Leiden or Delft.

Have a look at number 6 on this list: lonelyplanet.com/the-netherlands/…77017

Although since this article more and more tourists are finding their way to this town. Some things to do: www.visit-utrecht.com/en/content/first-time

Definitely add Oud-Zuilen to that list.

Edited: 2:41 am, September 04, 2013
9. Re: Simple, Interesting Experience using Train from Schiphol?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 06, 2014