We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 202
How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

Is there a full day's worth of things to do and see in Zaanes Schans? I would like to see a windmill, visit a cheese shop, walk along the canal, visit the clock museum, and have lunch. Is the Zaanses Schans Museum and Verkade Pavilian worthwhile? Would you say this is a good place to visit or would my time be better spent seeing more of Amsterdam? I want to see as many art museums as possible and am not sure if I should spend the time going to Zaanse Schans. I would just like some recommendations.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
1. Re: How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

once you get to ZS you can knock it out in 2-3 hours..and yes, it is worth a visit.

Cleveland, Ohio
2. Re: How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 2
3. Re: How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

The Zaans Museum and Verkade Pavilion are in my opinion less interesting than the other sights at the Zaanse Schans.

In addition, the museum is not free. The Verkade Pavilion maybe nice for kids though.

Cheers,

Dennis

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
4. Re: How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

A couple of hours is enough. I would focus on the cheese farm, the wooden shoe factory, the windmill and a walk around. The little Albert Heijn is fun too.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
5. Re: How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

how long are you planning to stay in amsterdam?

buying a museum card for unlimited visits would be the most ideal solution for you.

liverpool, england
reviews: 150
6. Re: How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

I'm a +1 for Zaanse Schans; Have been twice and going again (taking teen sons) in October.

We have usually spent approx 3 hours there, which has included wandering around and going into one of the windmills, tasting the cheese - and amaretto - in the cheese shop (then buying some) looking around the clog shop, watching their demonstration, and having lunch at the pancake house.

Have never felt the need to pay for the museum as the information in the windmills have always been enough for me. We have, however, had a cup of tea in the museum cafe - and they have an accessible loo there too.

The bus there/back takes approx 40 minutes and costs 4e per person each way.

Cleveland, Ohio
7. Re: How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

Thanks everyone for your input. it sounds like this is something worthwbile to do. We will be staying in Amsterdam for a week with a day trip to Haarlem and one to Utrecht. We will be getting a Museum card straight away. Can they be purchased at one of the museums that takes it in Amsterdam?

8. Re: How much time should I allow to visit Zaanses Schans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, September 04, 2014