We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodstock, Illinois
3 days in Amsterdam

We will be in Amsterdam next week four 3 days, following a 4 day trip in Paris. We know we will likely be quite tired after walking around Paris, so we don't want to over do it. Below is what I have tentatively planned. Is it good? Too much? Are we missing something important? Thank you for your input!

Day 1: Concertbegouw (11 am performance), The Van Gogh Museum, Vondelpark, and Leiden Square

Day 2: Anne Frank Museum (11 am tickets), walking around Jordaan, Dam Square

Day 3: Waterlooplein, Chinatown, Red Light District

liverpool, england
reviews: 164
11. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

The one thing I would say is missing, for me at least, is a canal boat tour; Amsterdam seen from the water looks very different, and you get to rest your feet - plus a potted history included. The cost is from about 10 - 14euros per person, and if you can time it at sunset, you will get the best of a daytime tour along with a night cruise, which is a different effect, and imho, gives a very different view with the illuminated city reflecting in the waters of the canals.

Have a great trip

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
12. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Ah, Patara in that case I didn't understand your post about 'the Dam is a must but you can skip Dam Square'... Same thing?

I agree with Juejosh, indeed a canal boat tour is very worthwhile.

And yes Waterlooplein not all that good. I also prefer Albert Cuyp market's hustle and bustle. But I like Noordermarkt even better (Saturday full day, Monday morning... Don't know when OP will be here.)

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 55
13. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

"But I think that a newbie should have at least a short look at the Dam with the Koninklijk Paleis, the Nieuwe Kerk and the Krasnapolsky Hotel ."

+1

I couldn't agree more with Juejosh as well. In fact, that would be the first thing I'd do in Amsterdam--a canal boat tour.

Bottrop, Germany
reviews: 89
14. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Cecile, I meant the Damrak, not ..square, sorry. I often mix things, a matter of senior moment, I fear:-)).

Amsterdam, The...
15. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Just a silly factoid that springs to mind, seeing where you are from... There is also a hip beach cafe by the name of Woodstock at Bloemendaal beach which can be reached by train to Haarlem and then a bus. ;-) http://www.woodstock69.nl/

www.9292.nl/en

Not trying to fill your nicely empty schedule ;-) just thought I'd mention it... Would be a shame if it *is* something you'd want to go to and only found out after leaving.

(When I have plenty of time I can sometimes enjoy making detours to towns with silly names, or villages called Sainte Cécile)

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 6:37 pm, September 01, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
16. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

everyone bags on dam square...it is where amsterdam started..a dam across the amstel right there..the amstel ran down where damrak is today..see the palace, new church, war monument....and vondelpark..i would skip that..it is..well a park..trees and grass.

Amsterdam, The...
17. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Nobody was bagging on Dam Square Steve. It was a misunderstanding about Damrak.

Bottrop, Germany
18. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Yes, and I caused this misunderstanding, sorry:-((

Woodstock, Illinois
19. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Thank you for the input everyone! Getting on the plane for Paris now.

Bottrop, Germany
20. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Happy travel:-))!