We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodstock, Illinois
3 days in Amsterdam

We will be in Amsterdam next week four 3 days, following a 4 day trip in Paris. We know we will likely be quite tired after walking around Paris, so we don't want to over do it. Below is what I have tentatively planned. Is it good? Too much? Are we missing something important? Thank you for your input!

Day 1: Concertbegouw (11 am performance), The Van Gogh Museum, Vondelpark, and Leiden Square

Day 2: Anne Frank Museum (11 am tickets), walking around Jordaan, Dam Square

Day 3: Waterlooplein, Chinatown, Red Light District

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 55
1. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

That looks very doable and balanced. The only thing I would add is the Rijksmuseum. It's an enormous collection and the museum has been fully reopened after a long restoration project. If I had to choose, I'd pick it over the Van Gogh Museum.

Woodstock, Illinois
2. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Thanks for the input. How much time would I expect to spend at each the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum?

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 55
3. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

I think the Van Gogh collection can be seen in 1-2 hours, though some spend longer there. The Rijksmuseum is a much larger collection than the Van Gogh museum and it can take three hours or half a day. Someone who has been there more recently can give you a better idea about the Rijksmuseum. When I went two years ago, they had a masterpieces collection on display, while the rest of museum was under restoration. In my view, the majestic paintings from the Dutch Golden Age make this worth a visit, including some of Rembrandt's classics, such as The Syndics of the Amsterdam Draper's Guild (you'd probably recognize the painting even if you didn't know the name).

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 4
4. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

If you miss the Dam Square, no big loss. Hang out in de Jordaan, rest your feet and have an extra beer.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
5. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Looks fine to me but I'd also suggest Rijksmuseum over Van Gogh, unless you are a huge Van Gogh fan. I haven't been to the restored Rijks yet because of the queues but the stories from people who have been are lyrical and what I've seen on tv, documentaries and photos is amazing (just the building and rooms as well!). From what I understand you could spend two full days there and still miss parts but most people seem to feel 3-4 hours is okay. They also offer guided tours or tours with headphones. And tours for your iPhone but you have to use headphones otherwise the sound won't work.

The rest of your plans seem mellow and with enough time to sit down and enjoy people-watching and drinks, which is almost more fun than all the museums.

You could perhaps add climbing up Westerkerk tower, it's right next to Anne Frank House and you could always go over and ask what time the next group is going up and if you can join. Amazing views over the canals and rooftops.

And / or on your day at the Red Light District you could decide to go have drinks at the rooftop bar on the 11th floor of the DoubleTree Hilton hotel next to Central Station. Drinks are expensive but the view is really nice. Just take the elevator up.

It's also good to know that Zeedijk has lots of cheap Asian eateries.

With regards to walking and how tiring that can be in cities: you could also rent bikes. In Paris they have a white bike system whih enables you to pick up bikes from any of the lots in the street, paying by credit card (and the first hour being free as far as I recall), and drop them off at any other white bike lot that still has room; at that point you stop paying.

In Amsterdam you can rent bikes per number of hours or full days. It is a much less tiring way of getting around than walking, especially in Amsterdam which is compact enough that you can reach anywhere you might want to go within a half hour bike ride (but probably you'll stay wihin a 15 minute radius), whereas you can spend hours walking all those bits. No wonder most of the locals get around by bike.

Enjoy!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:14 am, September 01, 2013
Bottrop, Germany
reviews: 89
6. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

I agree with the previous posters and would prefer the Rijksmuseum too. I have been there some weeks ago and was pretty overwhelmed, although I´m not an absolute fan of old masters. But I´m sure that you will be impressed! And it will take at least 2 - 3 h just to get e first glimpse and an overview.

The rest of your shedule sounds reasonable and relaxed to me, the Dam is a must but you can easily skip the Dam Square.

Edited: 5:48 am, September 01, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
7. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Patara I think you mean De Jordaan is a must, not 'the Dam'?

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
8. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

Just a thought. Day three is underwhelming to me. I would give the Waterlooplein and Chinatown a pass so you can take in both the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh. I agree with the other posters in that I would choose the Rijks over the Van Gogh, but I still think the Van Gogh is very special.

There is really nothing to see at the Waterlooplein except the market. If that is why you are going then you might consider taking in the Albert Cuyp market which is better and not too far from the museums.

Chinatown is certainly not overwhelming and you can always fit in a stroll through the RLD.

Know what you are saying about walking Paris. You will be blown away by Amsterdam as it is much more compact and doesn't have the elevation changes. Take your time in both cities to stake out a cafe (or a brown pub in Amsterdam) and watch the world go by.

Bottrop, Germany
9. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

I thought that the Jordaan was already included in the shedule by all means.

But I think that a newbie should have at least a short look at the Dam with the Koninklijk Paleis, the Nieuwe Kerk and the Krasnapolsky Hotel , just my opinion:-)

Edited: 8:23 am, September 01, 2013
Bottrop, Germany
10. Re: 3 days in Amsterdam

If you want to see the Waterlooplein you could add a visit of the Rembrandt House, just at the edge of the corner. It´s not very huge and you can do it within about 1 h if you don´t look at each picture very thoroughly but you will get an idea of an old patrician house.

When you are strolling around the RLD you could visit the Amstelkring, it´s one of my favourite little places(museums)

http://www.opsolder.nl/eng/home.php

And now I should stop, I could add so many nice and interesting sites, lol.