We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel opinions

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yateley, United...
reviews: 50
Hotel opinions

I am considering Amsterdam for a long weekend at the beginning of November, will be 2 females travelling together and am looking for somewhere with a safe surrounding, but not too far away from the main tourists areas, how do the below hotels fair?

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station

Park Hotel Amsterdam

Also, I am sure this gets asked so much and I have tried to search the forums but can't find anything... what is the legal deal with hash cakes/smoking cafes... will we legally be able to sit in a cafe and have a smoke, or have the laws changed now?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
1. Re: Hotel opinions

Yes you can sit, buy, and toke. The situation in Amsterdam has not changed.

Both hotels are well reviewed. Both in good locations.

I like the location of the Park better. But this is a personal choice.

The DT is a newer more modern hotel. Which is either a plus or a minus. YMMV.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
2. Re: Hotel opinions

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/

Here you go.all you need to know about coffeeshops.

Click on the map.

Yateley, United...
reviews: 50
3. Re: Hotel opinions

Thanks very much. There was some press here last year it was going to be illegal for tourists so wasn't too sure.

Am I correct to assume the dam and remb squares are the main tourists trap areas, so if we are within walking distance of these we would be close enough to soak up the general Amsterdam atmosphere over a long weekend?

Thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: Hotel opinions

Either hotel would be considered well located in the center.

On the top right under top questions you will see------which area should I stay in.

That discussion will give you a better feel for the areas.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c156882/Amste…

Here you go

Edited: 11:11 am, August 28, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 60
5. Re: Hotel opinions

Some explanations about the weed pass, and the deal in Amsterdam:

- trueamsterdam.com/2012/…

- …amsterdamcitytours.com/amsterdam/…

What it comes down to is that Amsterdam is refusing to make coffeeshops a 'members only' thing (= a wish of the national government). So tourists can still use coffeeshops in Amsterdam. Not so in various border towns but that won't affect you.

Technically cannabis is illegal but it's 'tolerated' / 'not enforced' up to 5 grams (buying, posessing, using). If you really wish to know all the ins and outs you can find those on Wikipedia. But all the confusing rules and exceptions will probably give you more of a headspin than a spliff. …wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Nethe…

Do not smoke dope in just any cafe, but in so-called coffeeshops only. You can recognize them by their symbols, suggestive names and smell, and look at the map that MrJohn gave you. If you don't want them with tobacco then ask the budtender for help.

I agree that Park Hotel has the nicer location of the two: it is close to the museums, restaurants and bars (Leidseplein and surroundings), the lovely Vondelpark which will have many colours in November, and also close enough to De Jordaan area and the canals.

DoubleTree is not a bad location either but is farther away from Museumplein which has some of the main museums (about 20 minutes by tram, www.9292.nl/en will give you door to door public transport advice). DoubleTree is close to Red Light District, and Zeedijk full of cheap Asian eateries. And could be convenient if you want to make daytrips out of Amsterdam by train. Its rooftop bar has amazing views.

Both hotels have their share of coffeeshops nearby.

Yes, Dam Square and Rembrandtplein have the overpriced touristy bars, and Leidseplein has its fair share too. But wander a few streets away from them and you'll be fine.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 11:18 am, August 28, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
6. Re: Hotel opinions

Just be aware that the smaller rooms in the Park Hotel have an open bathroom arrangement so check that out. You have to know your travel companion pretty well. Good location though but plenty other hotels in the area. Maybe look at the Hampshire American or the NH Amsterdam Centre.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
7. Re: Hotel opinions

ANd in terms of quality of rooms near the Park location-------the Marriott is hard to beat. Although price is something that can be beaten.

I am assuming that budget is not an issue since you did not mention budget.

Because if you had.......

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 60
8. Re: Hotel opinions

< You have to know your travel companion pretty well. >

LOL... or: You will know your travel companion pretty well. By the time you leave.

Amsterdam
9. Re: Hotel opinions

My friends stayed at the Park Hotel two week ago. Said it was quite hotel. But that's true : bathroom was open in their rooms as well. Not sure if it is like that in all rooms though.

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 57
10. Re: Hotel opinions

Unless you upgrade to a better room in the Park, the rooms are tiny, there wasn't much space at all, we had to upgrade to a bigger room as just too small, nightmare to get ready, dry your hair etc.. We always stay in the American it's a great hotel, the NH amsterdam centre and the Marriott are also good but the Marriot is always a little more expensive so depends on your budget, the breakfast in the American is really nice though that's why we always end up back there. All the hotels I have mentioned are in the Leidseplien area, this is a great area to stay and all the times we have been I have always felt very safe day and night, there are also lots of good coffee shops nearby.