We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on My Plan?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Utah
Thoughts on My Plan?

Here is my latest plan for 1 week October visit. Any thoughts?

Sat:-Albert Curypt Market

-Haarlem/Frans Hals Museum/St. Bravo

-Dinner @ Tomaz Restaurant

-Blue Boat Tour

-Jazz Cafe Alto

Sun:-Niemeijer Bakkerij

-Amsterdam sites: Nieuwe/Oud Kerk,Royal Palace,Amsterdam Museum,Begijnhof Courtyard,

De Munt Tower,Rembrandts Plein,Flower Market,Leidsplein

-5pm booked Anne Frank House

-Red Light District

-Last Waterhole Bar

Mon:-Noorder Market

-Zaanse Schans, Volendam,Marken 6hr Tour

-Gregory Porter concert @ Concertgebouw

Tues:-Early train to Brugge/6+ Hours in Brugge

-Night in Brussels for Jonny Lang concert @ AB Club

-The Grand Place & Manneken Pis - late night

Wed:-5+ Hours in Ghent

-Night in Delft

Thurs:-Morning, more Delft

-Afternoon/Amstelkring Museum

-Coffeehouse or Sky Lounge for drinks in DoubleTree

-Dinner @ The Pantry

-Concertgebouw Orchestra w/Emily Magee

Fri:-Westerkerk-climb tower if open

-Explore Jordaan area/Coffeehouses

-Dinner @ Gartine Restaurant or Vlaming eten & drinken Restaurant (preference anyone?)

-Van Gogh Museum

I know, big plans but i can't help myself and if it doesn't go down this way, no big deal. I would like to fit in Edam Village or maybe rent a bike and ride south down Amstel river but it may have to wait for next visit. Thanks for any thoughts or recomendations.

37 replies to this topic
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

Excellent plan!

But like you said, if it doesn't go down exactly that way, no big deal. Be flexible in order to enjoy it.

Florida
reviews: 46
2. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

Your itinerary looks really exciting. The Nieuwe Kerk will be closed from August through at least early October. If you get there after that, you're in luck if you like Chinese art, as there will be a collection of art and treasures from the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) at the Nieuwe Kerk.

I've done most of things you have listed on Saturday and Sunday, and for me the Sunday activities (all in one day) look a bit too ambitious. Having said that, however, I'm a bit more lethargic than most travelers. I really like the Amsterdam Museum, but I remember that my legs were pretty tired after that. If you have time and energy, consider taking a tower tour of the Oudekerk (if open), which like the tower of the Westerkerk, has a separate entrance and admission fee from the church itself.

Utah
3. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

Thanks ddavis and hansblix. The Ming Dynasty collection at Nieuwe kerk sounds very interesting. Hopefully it will be open by mid October. The Oudekerk tower tour also would be a good option. Agreed that my Sunday plan is fully loaded. I will probably need to cut or shorten a bit but would like to visit as many of these places as time allows. Not sure when i will sleep! lol

Groningen, The...
reviews: 288
4. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

Hi,

I think you are trying to do a bit too much. A few specific comments.

I'd miss Brussels out all together and do Antwerp instead. A much nicer town and closer. I don't like the AB club too much either, since it is a bit small and cramped. Moreover, I'd skip Ghent (although it is nice) and spend longer in Brugge (which is even nicer).

Days trips from Amsterdam: Haarlem is a very good idea! The Volendam, Marken, Zaanse Schans trip for me is really too touristy. I'd get the train to Enkhuizen instead and visit the Zuiderzee Museum (the outside museum is fascinating and open until 27th October).

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
5. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

Full schedule but looks doable for most parts.

Don't know until what time Blue Boat still operate.

Edam is attached to Volendam, perhaps you'll see bits of it. It's cute but not really worth making a big fuss for. You will see plenty of other cuteness in Marken, Bruges and Amsterdam proper. :-)

I agree with TravelingCelt that Zaanse Schans, Volendam and Marken are very touristy and that Enkhuizen might make for a more genuine experience. I also really like the Zuiderzee Museum (s)he mentioned.

In Brussels you may also want to compare Janneke Pis (the female version) with Manneken Pis. ;-)

Oude Kerk is in the red Light District so you will already see bits of that then. It's a lot more crowded at night.

Note that Noordermarkt on Monday is only in the morning until about 1pm. Don't miss delicious apple pie at Winkel 43 on that square. Don't be daunted by the queue, it moves fast enough.

I wouldn't consider Rembrandtplein and Leidseplein landmarks to visit. They are just touristy squares full of overpriced and uncharming cafes and bars, with one exception each (De Balie on Leidseplein is quite nice, and Schiller on Rembrandplein is quite nice... but only as a last resort; many nicer places in other streets!).

You could do your wandering through De Jordaan and the climb of Westerkerk on your day of visiting Anne Frank House (instead of Rembrandtplein and Leidseplein for example). That would leave some more breathing space on Friday to go back to places you liked, or visit some places that might be on your 'B list'.

And am I overlooking it or is Rijksmuseum not in your list? I'd recommend that over Van Gogh, unless you are a huge Van Gogh fan.

DoubleTree is right next to Amsterdam Central Station, so do that 'drink with a view' at a time when you need to be at the station anyway.

Have fun!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 9:12 am, August 28, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
6. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

Sorry that should be Jeanneke Pis, http://goo.gl/maps/LIrqg

The Hague, The...
reviews: 94
7. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

I would also go to Rijksmuseum instead of van Gogh.

I have just been in the Rijks and during the week it is not very crowded anymore. There were no long lines last Monday. If you come before 9.30, no problems at all. Very nice museum and pieces all so well lit that a (not allowed) flash is not needed for photography. 4 hours were enough for me. They have an ipod as audiotour. I hated it as it malfunctioned all the time.

I wanted to say you could go on Wednesday to the free lunchtime concert of the Concertgebouw Orchestra (one of the pieces you will hear on Thursday) but you are in Ghent then.

You're from Utah and still interested in the Red Light District? I have that faith too and find RLD disgusting but on your way to the Museum Amstelkring you pass through it anyway.

Utah
8. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

"You're from Utah and still interested in the Red Light District? I have that faith too and find RLD disgusting"

Sorry dutchguy, not everybody from Utah is of "that' faith, thank God! I'm very excited to experience the RLD, Coffeeshops, and maybe even check out some of those hot "gay" bars! Anyway, i appreciate your thougts on the Rijks Museum, which i will try to squeeze in.

Cecile, I was not aware of Jeanneke Pis, i will plan to visit Ms. Pis after Mr Pis. I will also need to reconsider my day away on Monday's plan for possibly visiting the Zuiderzee Museum you and TravelingCelt recommeded,instead of the more touristy option. Also, i will be staying on Hekelveld right by Central Staion so i will have options to hop over to Doubletree for a drink.

TravelingCelt, i like your idea of more time in Brugge, only spending the night in Brussels because of the concert which im excited to see. Hope the AB club is not to packed, as i've heard the concert is sold out.

Thanks again all, it helps having ideas thrown around. Have a great day!

Utah
9. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

I want to apologize to you dutchguy. My previous post was a bit strong. I appreciate you taking time responding to my questions and plan.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Thoughts on My Plan?

Don't worry sweldon - dutchguy has found out about his political agenda before and has been forewarned by Cecile. :-))

Reply to: Thoughts on My Plan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted